At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Research Investigator will join the Translational Development team at Bristol Myers Squibb in Redwood City, CA to lead efforts to execute on biomarker strategy plans and develop biomarker assays for immune targets in the tumor microenvironment.
The qualified candidate is a highly motivated, interactive, and creative individual that possesses substantial experience in translational science and the biology of human immune cells, preferably in the tumor microenvironment. The candidate will lead a small team that will work closely with various target teams to build biomarker assay packages to support advancement of therapeutic candidates. The candidate will also interact with discovery and translational research groups to test hypotheses-driven and mechanism of action questions.
The candidate is expected to effectively collaborate with biomarker leads and technology teams responsible for human tissue analysis, flow cytometry, and IHC to develop those assays and prepare them for clinical trials.
The successful candidate has superb verbal and written communication skills and is capable of presenting scientific results to multidisciplinary teams, senior management and at external scientific meetings. The candidate will act as an expert resource in his/her scientific field and in related disciplines, and collaborate across a highly matrixed organizational structure.
- Interface with translation research and biomarker leads to guide and develop biomarker strategies for clinical studies.
- Develop assays to support biomarker strategies.
- Identify and potentially develop new technologies and assays relevant for biomarker analysis
- Perform and manage in-house, collaborative or CRO-based research to support multiple projects.
- Effectively collaborate in highly matrixed organization to drive the advancement of therapeutic candidates.
- Actively participate in internal and external scientific meetings through presentations and critical evaluation of both internal results and emerging scientific literature.
- Act as an expert resource in his/ her/ their scientific field and train colleagues in established methodologies, troubleshooting and the development of novel techniques.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A Ph.D. degree with 4+ years of relevant translational experience in industry performing biomarker assay development for immuno-oncology targets.
- Experience with biomarker and assay development for clinical trials.
- Experience with biomarker strategy development and implementation.
- Experience with assay development to execute on biomarker strategy.
- Experience with primary human immune cells of human origin and the ability to utilize them to build mechanistic understanding of disease biology.
- Experience in multiple technologies/assays, including flow cytometry, immune functional assays, next generation sequencing, IHC, and bioinformatics
- Ability to learn and advance cutting-edge technologies
- A sophisticated understanding of immunology/immuno-oncology, as evidenced by publication record.
- Comprehensive understanding of immunology as it applies to cancer.
- Management/supervisory experience and passion for developing talent and building a highly collaborative and interactive team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively interact, internally and externally.
- Ability to effectively present scientific data and concepts across various forums is required.
This position is located in Redwood City, CA and will be >50% lab-based. There will be less than 10% Travel.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.