The Research Laboratory Technician will assist in the day to day operations of a research lab conducting an array of biomedical research projects and interaction with the diverse group of affiliated scientists and students.
The Research Laboratory Technician will consistently demonstrate support of the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab statement of Vision, Mission and Core Values by striving for excellence, contributing to the team efforts and showing respect and compassion for patients and their families, fellow employees, and all others with whom there is contact at or in the interest of the institute.
The Research Laboratory Technician will demonstrate Shirley Ryan AbilityLab Core Attributes: Communication, Accountability, Flexibility/Adaptability, Judgment/Problem Solving, Customer Service and Shirley Ryan AbilityLab Values (Hope, Compassion, Discovery, Collaboration, & Commitment to Excellence) while fulfilling job duties.
The Research Laboratory Technician will:
- Supports the day-to-day activities of a team of biomedical researchers tasked with the investigation of molecular, cellular, and organismal biology.
- Works with scientists, therapists, and physicians to perform and document translational and basic science studies.
- Supports protocol creation/modification as needed with institutional review board (IRB), institutional animal care and use committee (IACUC), and research safety designates. Assistthe Principal Investigators (PIs) and laboratory manager in supporting organization, budget planning and meetingproject milestones.
- Responsible for inventorying supplies and placing orders.
- Supports animal colony maintenance and genotyping when necessary.
- Contributes to new project plan development and experimental execution.
- Interfaces witha diverse group including the core research team, academic collaborators within and outside the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab, industrial partners, finance department and federal funding agencies.
- Performs all other duties that may be assigned in the best interest of Shirley Ryan AbilityLab.
- Reports directly to the other laboratory PIs.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- A Bachelor’s degree in a biology related field Additional neuromuscular, bioengineering, or physiology background is a plus.
- 3-5 years’ experience as a research technician in a related field.
- Experience with cell culture and/or animal work.
- Experience with scientific writing and presentations.
- Experience and proficiency with both qualitative and quantitative research outcome measures.
- Analytical abilities necessary to understand complex problems and to resolve these problems through the application of appropriate technologies; the ability to structure time to meet deadlines; and the ability to be flexible to changing design requirements and deliverables.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Normal office environment with little or no exposure to dust or extreme temperature.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.