In AMDS we pride ourselves on pushing our highly-skilled team members to grow, specialize, and experiment in their own individual areas of interest, and to bring that unique expertise to bear on the critical challenges facing our nation. Become part of this innovative team at the forefront of groundbreaking technology development and analysis.
Duties for the Research Associate include:
• Running third party software in a Linux and/or Windows environment
• Executing modeling and simulation tasks
• Working closely with technical team to achieve results
• Producing data and then performing analysis of that data
• Analyzing third party results
• Some high level modeling
• Presenting work and results to other technical staff and management
• Developing and planning projects
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is a national leader in scientific research and development. In that spirit, we are looking to cultivate and encourage today’s most innovative, ambitious, dedicated thinkers to propose new technologies and provide solutions for next-generation problems. With a vast network of cutting-edge technology and resources—and a laboratory full of brilliant minds—we invite you to apply for this competitive and rewarding position and to seize the opportunity to impact the world in which we live.
• MS in Physics, Physical Chemistry, Nuclear Engineering, or related field
• At least one year of relevant experience
• Familiarity with working in a Linux environment
• Command line programming
• Familiarity with MATLAB and/or other coding platforms
• Strong attention to detail
• Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
• Knowledge of nuclear physics, high energy particle physics, or solar physics
• Strong mathematical and statistical background
• Interim secret clearance with the ability to obtain final secret clearance
• PhD in Physics, Physical Chemistry, Nuclear Engineering, or related field
• Familiarity with, and experience programming with, FORTRAN
• Deep knowledge of nuclear physics
• Experience with transport problems in atmosphere or within structures
• Experience building third-party programs
• Experience with GEANT4, MCNP, ENDF, NJOY, DIORAMA, or similar code
• Final secret clearance
Special Working Conditions: N/A
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.