Are you motivated to participate in a dynamic, multi-tasking environment? Do you want to become part of a company that invests in its employees? Are you seeking a position where you can use your skills while continuing to be challenged and learn? Then we encourage you to dive deeper into this opportunity.
NeoGenomics is looking for a Research Scientist within our Molecular Laboratory who wants to continue to learn in order to allow our company to grow.
Now that you know what we're looking for in talent, let us tell you why you'd want to work at NeoGenomics:
NeoGenomics Laboratories is comprised of a national team of experts in developing and delivering laboratory diagnostic and clinical trial services with a focus in cancer. Together, we work to solve the medical, scientific, and logistical challenges of making precise diagnoses, aiding in bringing new therapies to market and finding the unusual hallmarks of each patient’s disease that point the way to proper treatment.
As an employer, we promise to provide you with a purpose driven mission in which you have the opportunity to save lives by improving patient care through the exceptional work you perform. Together, we will become the world's leading cancer reference laboratory.
This position will report directly to the director of R&D. This position is primarily a lab based position and will assist R&D in developing and validating NGS assays (or other molecular assays) for targeted cancer therapy to prepare new applications for CAP, CLIA, NCI-Match, NYS, FDA submissions. The person will also be responsible for develop/performing custom services or validation/troubleshooting of assays required for preliminary for prospective clinical trials.
- Perform general molecular bench work related to DNA and RNA genomic experiments such as microarray, next generation sequencing, high throughout PCR, sanger sequencing, RNA profiling.
- Conduct general molecular biology experiments such as tissue and cell culture, RNA/DNA isolation, cDNA/cRNA synthesis, PCT,RT-PCR, ligation, sonication, etc..;
- Order and maintain laboratory inventory including reagents, solutions, etc.; (4) operate instruments for example for automation e.g. Hamilton/Tecan instrument platforms i.e. NGS platforms (Illumina, Ion Torrent, Nanopore, etc), QC instruments for example Fragment Analyzer, Agilent, qubit, nanodrop; extraction instruments (QiaCube).
- Conduct basic extraction and QC analysis.
- Participate in different research projects/activities involving internal study and prepare figures and tables for publication, applications, and validations if needed.
- Carry out the daily NGS activities, prioritize and organize tasks, be detail minded, and be an effective communicator, both verbally and in writing with all personnel.
Masters Degree Required. Ph.D preferred with direct experience.
2+ years of direct experience with a Masters Degree or Ph.D. 1+ years of direct experience.
Additional Experience Preferred:
- Experience making NGS Sequencing libraries (e.g. RNA, targeted, exome, WGS, etc.)
- Established scientific/technical writing and presentation skills; publication/manuscript/CAP/CLIA/NYS validation, NIH grant experience greatly preferred.
- Working knowledge of common genomic terminology (exome, targeted RNA/DNA panels, gene structure), databases (UCSC/EBI/NIH), genome versions, and tools used in genomics (e.g. dbSNP, COSMIC, ClinVar, UCSC genome browser, Galaxy, IGV)
- Preferred experience background in genetic/genomic testing especially cancer or somatic testing. (e.g. Targeted high depth panels)
- Analysis experience of genomic datasets (RNAseq profiling, somatic analysis, bioinformatics QC of libraries), use of common bioinformatics tools (TopHat, BWA, GATK, etc…)