Cambrex in Longmont Colorado is seeking a Research Scientist for our process chemistry research group. This position requires expertise in synthetic organic chemistry as well as the analytical instrumentation used in this field (for ex. NMR, HPLC, GC, FTIR). The process chemistry group conducts research into new synthetic routes and optimizes existing processes for the generation of the active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) in developmental drugs for clinical evaluation.
As a Research Scientist in our Process Research and Development Group, you will:
- Devise new synthetic routes and optimize existing processes for the cGMP manufacture of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs).
- Execute laboratory-scale synthetic operations and solve process chemistry issues with sound, innovative strategies.
- Be able to efficiently navigate the current literature through online platforms to solve complex chemistry issues.
- Generate non-GMP demonstration batches of APIs and transfer processes to our manufacturing group.
- Conduct thermal hazard assessment of materials and reactions in a process using DSC, EasyMax and ARC.
- Lead scientific research projects and / or mentor other scientists.
- Conduct and document process optimization studies [for e.g., design of experiments (DoE) and quality by design (QbD)] and apply changes to the modified route.
- Maintain a current and accurate laboratory notebook that documents all experimental results.
- Comply with all safety, health, and environmental requirements.
- Degree Requirements:
- Ph.D., Organic Chemistry with 0-6 years of experience in the pharmaceutical development industry
- M.S., Organic Chemistry with 4-10 years of experience in the pharmaceutical development industry
- B.S., Chemistry with 10+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical development industry
- Ability to effectively set priorities on projects and efficiently manage time to meet contract goals.
- Team player that works well within the process chemistry group but also interacts smoothly with other departments (Analytical Chemistry, Materials Characterization, Pharmaceutics, Quality Management and Manufacturing).
- Good oral and written communication skills for internal meetings and customer meetings/teleconference calls to provide project updates and reports.