The Barton Group is recruiting a Senior Principal Research Scientist for a leading defense firm's specialized R&D arm.
Research Software Engineer Our Client is hiringa Senior + Junior Role
This role is focused on developing new artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) technologies. The Senior Principal Research Scientist will collaborate with chief scientists to lead the design, development, and implementation of state-of-the-art AI/ML algorithms for complex problems, including autonomy, sense making, predictive analytics, contextual reasoning, activity based intelligence (e.g., behavior recognition, patterns of life, anomaly detection), and other areas. This person will act as principal investigator on research and development projects involving machine learning, develop prototypes that will enable autonomous functionality in the company's products, and interact directly with customers to define new AI/ML research and development programs.
This position is based in greater Boston, though locations in North Carolina and greater Washington, D.C. are also available.
- Experience with AI/ML technologies and architectures.
- Experience in the design, development, execution, and implementation of research projects involving complex sub-systems.
- Experience interacting with external customers, companies, and academic institutions.
- Record of authoring/co-authoring external publications (conference papers/presentations, journal articles, and books).
- Demonstrated written and oral communication and presentation skills for technical reporting and briefing customers on technical concepts.
Required education & skills:
- Masters degree in a science or engineering discipline with at least 6 years professional research experience.
- Track record of research in AI / ML technologies.
- Proficient in software prototype development, problem decomposition, and analysis tools (e.g., MATLAB, Python, Java, etc.).
- Knowledge of AI / ML application areas, including signal processing, predictive analytics, contextual reasoning, activity based intelligence, autonomy, computer vision, natural language processing, and other areas.
- Experience working and collaborating on multi-disciplinary teams, including managing and leading technical teams, and mentoring less experienced scientists.
- Eligible for a Top Secret clearance.
Preferred education & skills:
- PhD in a science or engineering discipline.
- Experience with modeling and simulation on CPU and/or GPU architectures.
- Familiarity with software engineering concepts, languages, and processes.
- Demonstrated record of professional research publications.
- Active Top Secret/SCI clearance.