Provides care for patients with cardiopulmonary disorders.
• Delivers and assesses response to ordered therapy per plan of care. Monitors, documents, and communicates patient condition as appropriate.
• Evaluates respiratory care policies and procedures based on patient outcomes, current research, and best practices.
• Responds to codes and calls for emergent assistance. Assesses patient condition and delivers appropriate treatment.
• Educates the patient and family about the patient's illness and provides information about community support groups and other resources.
Competencies and skills:
• STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOR: Acts in a manner that supports the standards of communication, respect, privacy, and teamwork by demonstrating a commitment to professional and ethical conduct.
• CUSTOMER SERVICE: Demonstrates commitment to service excellence by promptly addressing internal/external customer issues/requests, resolving concerns while maintaining a professional image and behavior to build and enhance the patient/family/customer experience.
• ACCOUNTABILITY: Accepts ownership of job roles and specific assignments/goals; works independently, takes responsibility for own actions; admits mistakes and judgment errors; and accepts constructive feedback. Connects personal work results to the accomplishment of team and organizational goals.
• RESPONDING TO CHANGE: Accepts change and adapts in a positive and productive manner; handles unexpected situations and changes in direction calmly and with confidence. Views new assignments and job responsibilities as an opportunity for growth.
• NON-INVASIVE POSITIVE PRESSURE VENTILATION (NIPPV): Initiates, adjusts, troubleshoots and delivers appropriate non-invasive positive pressure ventilation therapy.
• ARTIFICIAL AIRWAY CARE/MAINTENANCE: Performs and demonstrates appropriate endotracheal tube care/maintenance.
• MECHANICAL VENTILATION WEANING/PULMONARY MECHANICS: Coaches, demonstrates, performs and reports mechanical ventilation weaning/pulmonary mechanics.
• ARTERIAL BLOOD GAS SAMPLING - ARTERIAL PUNCTURE: Performs appropriate arterial blood gas puncture sampling.
• HFNC/VAPOTHERM: Initiates, adjusts, troubleshoots and delivers high flow cannula/Vapotherm Therapy.
• PATIENT AND FAMILY CENTERED CARE: "Provides Patient and Family Centered Care to patients, families, visitors and internal customers"
• Accredited Program
• Respiratory Therapy
• BLS Certification
• Registered Respiratory Therapist - FL
• PALS Certification
Education equivalent experience:
• Graduate of an accredited Respiratory Therapy program.
Complexity of Work: Requires critical thinking skills, effective communication skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision. Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
Required Work Experience: No experience required.
• Bending and Stooping 80.00%
• Keyboard Entry 80.00%
• Kneeling 80.00%
• Lifting/Carrying Patients 35 Pounds or Greater 80.00%
• Lifting or Carrying 0 - 25 lbs Non-Patient 80.00%
• Lifting or Carrying 25.01 lbs - 75 lbs Non-Patient 80.00%
• Pushing or Pulling 0 - 25 lbs Non-Patient 80.00%
• Pushing or Pulling 26 - 75 lbs Non-Patient 80.00%
• Pushing or Pulling > 75 lbs Non-Patient 60.00%
• Reaching 80.00%
• Repetitive Movement Hand/Arm 80.00%
• Running 60.00%
• Sitting 60.00%
• Squatting 80.00%
• Standing 80.00%
• Walking 80.00%
• Audible Speech 80.00%
• Hearing Acuity 80.00%
• Smelling Acuity 60.00%
• Depth Perception 80.00%
• Distinguish Color 80.00%
• Seeing - Far 80.00%
• Seeing - Near 80.00%
• Bio hazardous Waste 80.00%
• Biological Hazards - Respiratory 80.00%
• Biological Hazards - Skin or Ingestion 80.00%
• Blood and/or Bodily Fluids 80.00%
• Communicable Diseases and/or Pathogens 80.00%
• Cytotoxic Chemicals 60.00%
• Dust 60.00%
• Gas/Vapors/Fumes 80.00%
• Hazardous Medication 60.00%
• Latex 60.00%
• Computer Monitor 80.00%
• Domestic Animals 60.00%
• Fire Risk 40.00%
• Hazardous Noise 40.00%
• Heating Devices 60.00%
• Magnetic Fields 80.00%
• Moving Mechanical Parts 80.00%
• Needles/Sharp Objects 80.00%
• Potential Electric Shock 40.00%
• Potential for Physical Assault 60.00%
• Radiation 60.00%
• Wet or Slippery Surfaces 80.00%
Joe DiMaggio himself helped celebrate the opening of the first Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital back in 1992. Today, the freestanding Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital is one of the region's leading pediatric hospitals, offering a comprehensive scope of healthcare services and programs in a child-friendly atmosphere. A full-service, 226-bed hospital, we treat minor illnesses, trauma-related accidents and some of the most complex medical conditions.
Today, in its 25th year, the hospital now has the unique distinction of being the first – and only – pediatric hospital in the world to be designated as person-centered organization by Planetree. We are one of only four children’s hospitals in Florida that performs pediatric heart transplants, and one of just a handful worldwide offering extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO).
- Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital Heart Institute, which has performed 21 pediatric transplant surgeries
- Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders
- Cleft and Craniofacial Center
- Cystic Fibrosis, Pulmonary and Sleep Center
- Emergency Department and Trauma Center
- Pediatric Endocrinology
- General and Thoracic Surgery
- Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery
- Pediatric Hypertension and Nephrology
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and Wasie Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- [U18] Sports Medicine Program for young athletes
- Outpatient services
- Inpatient and Outpatient Rehabilitation
Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital has been named a Broward Family Favorite by Broward Family Life magazine as a Favorite Pediatric Hospital, and has been honored by US News & World Report as a Best Children’s Hospital for Cardiology and Heart Surgery, Orthopedics and Urology.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended, nor should it be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification.