The Respiratory Therapist delivers and provides instruction to patients and/or caregivers on the proper use of equipment and/or respiratory care procedures. He or She ensures patients and/or caregivers can effectively operate and maintain equipment and assists patients in solving problems regarding equipment use.
Essential Duties and Responsibilitiesinclude the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for routine patient follow-up contacts and equipment maintenance checks.
- Completes necessary paperwork including daily delivery logs, plans of care and treatment, and any other paperwork required by the company.
- Inspects and tests equipment to ensure proper operating condition both in the field and at the office.
- Provides and evaluates the effectiveness of respiratory care, coordinates respiratory services, and performs respiratory care services in accordance with the physician’s orders. Services include delivery, set-up, education, assessment, monitoring, treatment administration and care, as related to the individualized plan of care.
- Consults with referring physician regarding patient treatment, medical condition and home environment.
Qualifications:To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/Experience:Graduate of an AMA approved respiratory program is required. Bachelor’s degree preferred. Credentials with the National Board of Respiratory Care (NBRC) as a Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) preferred, Certified Respiratory Technician (CRT) accepted. Must have current state professional license. A minimum of 1 year experience, or as required by law and regulation, in respiratory care is required. Experience with home medical equipment is highly desired. Current CPR certification and attainment of company direct patient care health requirements is required before interacting with patients
Computer Skills:To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.