Jack Hughston Memorial Hospital is seeking a Respiratory Therapist for a PRN position.
(Must be available on weekends as well as M-F and holidays.)
Position Goal: This individual is responsible for performing all respiratory therapy procedures as ordered. Will assist physicians and other departments when requested.
- Provides quality respiratory care by performing procedures listed; Ventilator management, Intubation, BiPAP and CPAP, Medication delivery including HFN and MDI, ABG’s, CPT, IS, Peak Flow, EKG’s, Sputum Collection, Suctioning, Oximetry, Oxygen, O2 Transport and Aerosol Therapy. Performs pediatric specific procedures; treatments, ABG’s in consultation with physicians and physician order.
- Protects patients and self by adhering to infection control protocols
- Appropriate utilizes two patient identifiers prior to any intervention.
- Performs patients’ initial respiratory assessment before therapy initiated.
- Evaluates patient response to therapy by observing, reassessing and evaluating patient progress. Recommends adjustments and modifications to therapy as appropriate.
- Initiate and monitor mechanical ventilation on adult & children. Troubleshoot effectively. Takes an active role in weaning mechanical ventilation.
- Maintain, promptly clean and process equipment as needed in accordance with manufacture/department/ hospital approved procedures
- Safely performs ABG puncture and analysis, maintain instruments and database appropriately
- Demonstrate responsibility for own competency, all mandatory in-services and annual performance evaluation by maintaining all personal data up-to-date. Meet all educational requirements for new equipment, materials, procedures and technology.
- Maintain all patient and department records as required by department policy and procedures (documentation in electronic patient record and department forms)
- Assists in maintaining the EKG’s reading, scanning, and filing process within the department
- Implement orders through collaboration as evidenced by:
- Physician orders
- Orders are prioritized
- Orders are implemented in a timely manner per department policy
- Unclear and questionable orders are clarified
- Proactive in offering assistance to physician and nursing staff customers.
- Attends all mandatory required meetings of the hospital and respond to department emails on a regular basis. Responsible for checking updates to communication board and log and initialing entries.
- May assist hospital staff in positioning and moving patients
- Functions as a member of the Code Team and the Rapid Response Team.
- Functions as a member of the Code Red Team.
Experience: Critical Care experience preferred
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent required. Associates or Bachelor’s degree preferred
Special Qualifications: Must be a CRT (minimum) or be RRT eligible. RRT preferred. BLS and ACLS required. Must be licensed in the state of Alabama.
The Hughston Clinic, The Hughston Foundation, The Hughston Surgical Center, Hughston Clinic Orthopaedics, Hughston Medical, and Jack Hughston Memorial Hospital participate in E-Verify. This company is an equal opportunity employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or protected veteran status. This company is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.