General Manager Job Description
Exciting opportunity for a General Manager to be involved with the opening of a fantastic new full-service restaurant on the Connecticut River in Chester, Connecticut. TheGeneral Manager of this exciting new RiverfrontRestaurant will be responsible for creatingand leading the team culture. The General Manager will be giventhe opportunity to work with the Executive Chef to create and design a regionally inspiredfresh menu, to enhance our beverage program as well as our full-service catering business. The position will beresponsible for all aspects of therestaurant and work with the Chef on all event catering. TheGeneral Manager will be the driver for maximizing financial performance in allfood & beverage outlets, including purchasing, hiring, training, development and menu costing. Responsibilities will include financial reporting, inventory controls, vendor management, customer satisfaction, staffing and employee development, training and managing of all employees and catering staff to ensure customer satisfaction and overall operational management.
The highly anticipated opening isset for the Spring of 2021 but we are looking to hire the General Manager as soon as possible.
Education and Experience
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and
Restaurant Management, or related major
- 5 years’ experience in the culinary,food and beverage, or related professional area.
- Proficient in the following dimensions of restaurant functions; food planning preparation, purchasing, sanitation, security, company policy and procedures, personnel management, record keeping and preparation of reports.
- Knowledge of computers (MS Word, Excel, etc)
- Great communication, including verbal and listening skills
- Leadership & problem-solving skills
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
- Leads & develops restaurant team.
- Provides direction and leadership for all day-to-day operations.
- Performs duties in team members absence or determine appropriate replacementto fill gaps.
- Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including settingperformance standards and monitoring performance.
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, andencourage others;advocates sound financial/business decision making;demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among teammembers.
- Serving as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
- Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
- Reviews staffing levels to ensure that customer service, operational needs andfinancial objectives are met.
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employeesand ensures employees do the same within the team..
- Work with Executive Chef to Develop and implement guidelines and control procedures for purchasing andreceiving areas.
- Establishes goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Communicates the importance of safety procedures, detailing procedure codes,ensuring employee understanding of safety codes, monitoring processes andprocedures related to safety.
- Manages department controllable expenses including food cost, liquor costs, supplies,uniforms and equipment.
- Participates in the budgeting process for areas of responsibility.
- Knows and implements the brand's safety standards.
- Work with the Executive Chef on menu development.
- Work with Executive Chef and Staff to determine how food should be presented, and create decorative food displays.
- Ensures compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
- Ensures employees maintain required food handling and sanitationcertifications.
- Work directly with the Executive Chef to maintain purchasing, receiving and foodstorage standards.
- Provides and supports service behaviors that are above and beyond forcustomersatisfaction and retention.
- Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understandguest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
- Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meetingtheexpectations of the customers on a daily basis.
- Displays leadership in customer hospitality, exemplifies excellent customerservice and creates a positive atmosphere for customer relations.
- Interacts with customers to obtain feedback on product quality and servicelevels.
- Responds to and handles customer problems and complaints.
- Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service. Establishesguidelines so employees understand expectations and parameters. Ensuresemployees receive on-going training to understand guest expectations.
- Reviews comment cards, customer satisfaction results and other data to identifyareas of improvement.
- Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, orotherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
- Administers the performance appraisal process for direct report employees.
- Interacts with the Catering Chef and Catering department on training regardingfood knowledge and menu composition.
- Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to individualsand or supervisors.
- Manages employee progressive discipline procedures for areas ofresponsibility.
- Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to
Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and supports the Peer
- Provides information to executive teams, managers and supervisors,
co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in
- Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and
This company is an equal opportunity employer.