The purpose of this position is to act in either the consultant or testifying role in the Review Appraisal Division. Review all relevant data related to pending real property or personal property lawsuits filed against HCAD and assist in the preparation and presentation of value defense or advise in settlement of litigation cases. Duties include obtaining the most accurate information available for each property, applying accepted appraisal methods, techniques, and practices and possibly appearing as an expert witness to testify in legal proceedings. Other responsibilities include case management on properties in litigation and may include writing market, uniform/equal and appraisal review reports.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The list of essential functions below does not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent in this position as duties can vary between the consultant and testifier roles.
- Provide expert analysis and testimony for properties in litigation
- Participate in depositions as necessary
- Develop case analysis of properties and manage cases through settlement
- Prepare applicable analysis and/or expert reports utilizing the cost, income, sales comparison approaches to value for the subject property
- Prepare uniform and equal analysis and reports
- Review and provide rebuttal on opposing reports
- Work with Division of Legal Services and outside legal counsel on pending litigation cases
- Maintain educational requirements for all required licenses and designations
- Maintain complete work files and reports in compliance with USPAP
- Represent the Harris County Appraisal District in District Court, SOAH hearings, depositions, and litigation matters
- Monitor/manage key milestones in the process for each case assigned
- Assist in the development of methodologies and report writing techniques
Education Requirements and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; major in Real Estate or Finance preferred
- Registered Professional Appraiser (RPA) certification completed OR advanced designations
- 3+ years’ appraisal/valuation experience
- Advanced appraisal designation(s) CAE, AAS, MAI, SRA, AI-GRS, preferred
- Texas Appraiser Licensing & Certification (TALCB) preferred
Appraisal Practices & Procedures: Understanding of USPAP Compliance, Generally Accepted Appraisal Practices and Market Data Analysis.
Communication: Maintain a professional presence through actively listening and ensuring effective communication. This can include expert testimony involving case issues that are communicated to attorneys through depositions, courtroom testimony, and other means in a legal setting. Be able to carefully articulate the facts of the case. Maintain confidentiality. Quickly respond to inquiries from attorneys and management.
Customer Orientation: Represents HCAD in a professional manner at all times. Respond positively to others with a willingness to work effectively. Provide high quality reports, independent analysis, case strategy or expert testimony in a timely manner. Provide quick turn around on inquiries.
Decision Making: Arrive at an independent valuation conclusion supported by utilizing generally accepted appraisal techniques and methodology. Analyze the case, thereby determining the appropriate approach (es) to use.
Working Conditions and Physical & Mental Abilities
- Positions in this class typically require repetitive motions, sitting or standing for prolonged periods of time in an office setting
- Position requires manual dexterity to operate a computer keyboard and standard office equipment with ability to effectively communicate by phone, e-mail, writing and face to face. Must be able to lift up to 50 pound file boxes. The position requires considerable concentration and ability to manage time effectively. It is subject to stress caused by mandatory deadlines and heavy workload
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Harris County Appraisal District is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.