The RF Communication Systems Engineer will:
- Write Radio Frequency communication subsystem level Interface Requirements Documents (IRD), Verification Requirements (VRs), Interface Control Documents (ICDs) for spacecrafts. Review IRDs, ICDs and component level requirements (Transponders, Transceivers, baseband processors).
- Review Link and network layer protocols implemented on communication systems based on CCSDS recommendations.
- Determine the performance of Radio Frequency (RF) communication links and create link budgets using analytical methods or by applying analysis to simulation tools.
- Actively participate and contribute to Systems Requirements Reviews (SRR), Preliminary & Critical Design Reviews, Component level reviews and Technical Interchange Meetings.
- Perform Radio Frequency interference & compatibility analysis, Power Flux Density analysis, Spectral analysis for Space based communication systems.
- Assist and support NASA RF communication sub system manager with reviews, meetings and be the technical Point of Contact.
- Represent us and interface with other NASA centers and federal agencies.
- Familiar with CCSDS standards.
- Perform analysis using software such as Matlab, Simulink and Excel.
- Other duties as required.
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- Must have a MS or a BS degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited engineering school.
- Must have completed college level RF Communications course work and submit course work transcript if less than 5 years in field.
- Must have a broad knowledge of communication systems such as digital modulation, spread spectrum signals, signal detection, and forward error correction.
- Must have excellent communication and organizational skills along with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and successfully complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Strong analytical skills in RF communications.
- Knowledge in antennas, RF propagation and network layer protocols is a plus.