Operating a hospital is more than IV bags and trauma rooms. One might be surprised by the number of people – and the hats they wear – who work behind the scenes to make sure a hospital runs smoothly and safely for our patients, visitors and staff. Each one plays a critical role and is part of a team to ensure the best care for our patients.
Banner Health Western Region is looking for a full-time Risk Management Specialist. This position works with the Risk Management team to minimize or avoid the risk of loss to the organization from professional and general liability claims and suits by assisting in the investigation, evaluation, and processing of potential claims, claims and suits, in anticipation of litigation and by participating in loss prevention and loss reduction activities in a clinical setting. The successful Risk Management Specialist candidate will have a minimum of an associates degree in nursing or relevant clinical experience, with an RN license preferred. Some travel is required for this Risk Management Specialist position to the Western Region states of California, Nevada, Wyoming, Colorado and Nebraska. The Risk Management Specialists office will be located out of Banner Corporate Center-Colorado: 7251 W. 4th St., Greeley, CO 80634
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
About Banner Health - Western Region
Whether you are seeking a clinical or non-clinical career, you will have the opportunity to apply your unique experience and expertise in support of a nationally-recognized healthcare leader. Banner Health's Western Region consists of facilities that offer comprehensive care in friendly, small-town environments. With Banner Health Western Region you get a unique combination of the latest technology at your workplace and relaxed living.
About Banner Health
Banner Health is one of the largest, nonprofit health care systems in the country and the leading nonprofit provider of hospital services in all the communities we serve. Throughout our network of hospitals, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, physician practices and more, our skilled and compassionate professionals use the latest technology to make health care easier, so life can be better. The many locations, career opportunities, and benefits offered at Banner Health help to make the Banner Journey unique and fulfilling for every employee.
This position minimizes or avoids the risk of loss to the organization from professional and general liability claims and suits by assisting in the investigation, evaluation, and processing of potential claims, claims and suits, in anticipation of litigation and by participating in loss prevention and loss reduction activities under the guidance and direction of the Senior Risk Manager or Risk Manager as necessary.
- Obtains information from persons reporting incidents. Investigates potential for claims or possible litigation by conducting interviews of persons involved, including hospital staff, patients, or other key persons. Reviews medical records and other relevant documentation.
- Documents appropriately and maintains detailed and accurate records and files involving incidents and investigations. Enters potential claims and claims into the database and alerts hospital administration.
- Ensures Risk Management files and computer database are updated and in order.
- Provides Risk Management support to departments, affiliates, and staff. Responds to professional liability and facility liability questions posed by physicians, administrators, nurses, and other personnel regarding emergent patient care issues to minimize risk and control loss. Assists in resolving treatment issues, including patient decisions made against medical advice (AMA), refusals of treatment, and consent issues; initiates court orders as appropriate via in-house and outside legal counsel. Participates in the process of disclosure of medical errors. Provides assistance to departments in complying with The Joint Commission (TJC) or other accrediting agencies, regarding risk management related standards. Advises hospital staff and medical staff on medical/legal questions or potential liability situations when on-call or otherwise as needed. Conducts in-depth medical and other research, conducts standard of care surveys for evidence based practices. Responsible for being on call as scheduled.
- Coordinates development and review of policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with respective departments such as Clinical Performance Assessment Improvement and Patient Safety or medical staff committees as appropriate.
Knowledge or education as typically obtained from an associate degree or equivalent in clinical area.
CPHRM within two years of hire.
0-3 years experience in Risk Management required.
Effective human relations and communications skills are required. Must be detail oriented and able to facilitate projects. Requires ability to access and summarize meaningful information using computer sources.
RN licensureQA, Patient Safety, CPHQ, and/or ARM preferred; patient safety certification preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.