Risk Management Technician provides oversight and coordination of the Unitypoint Health Trinity- Quad Cities Risk Management Program.
Risk Liability Events and Claims
· In cooperation with the Clinical Risk Manager, establishes and maintains a data gathering and profile analysis for hospital wide risk management activities:
o Reviews all Event Reports to screen for potential liability and appropriate follow-up.
o Provides documentation on Event Reports which require follow-up/action for Risk Management.
o Works with departments to ensure timely follow-up of Event Reports
o Assists VP's, Directors, Managers and other staff in using the Event Reporting computer system
o Maintains current and accurate Risk Management legal files
· Reports potential liability issues to IHS by means of completing "Notice of Claim" form, gathering relevant information, and entering the information into the Claims database.
· Works to coordinate between IHS corporate and Trinity updates on all open claims on a quarterly basis.
· Notifies Business Office when patient accounts need adjustment.
· Manages Lawson and On-Base data systems for Risk Management and Compliance; processes payment and settlement requests and maintains financial records for lawsuits and claims.
· Maintains the data information system for Event Reports, claims, and follow-ups.
· Prepares Risk Management Report and Claims Summary semi-annually.
· Pulls data and prepares informational reports as needed from the Event Reports system.
· Screens calls regarding subpoenas, lawsuits and depositions for all hospital personnel.
· Coordinates lawsuits administratively, including processing summons, complaints, interrogatories, production requests, deposition scheduling, and other attorney requests as needed.
· Assists in investigation of claims and discovery requests.
· Investigates “Visitor Assist Team” and reports of missing items and resolves with complainants.
· Investigates, analyzes, negotiates and settles General Liability Claims.
· Serves as back-up in the Risk Management office for administrative issues in the areas of general liability and Lost and Found. Serves as a member of the, Corporate Risk Management team and RL User Team.
· Manages the Subpoena database, along with the duty of notifying staff.
· Manages the Claims database.
· Provides computer/clerical support for Risk Management and Compliance as needed
Preferred or Specialized
High School diploma or equivalent
Associates degree in health related or legal field
Previous technical training in work processing/computer required.
Three years previous risk management experience.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Familiarity with general risk identification and reduction methods
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Able to assess complex issues, strong analytical and problem solving skills, and exhibit good judgement
· Strong time management skills
· Knowledge and understanding of hospital and other relevant policies and procedures related to patient care and safety
· Knowledge of healthcare delivery system
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.