Describe the position: (Lawson heading)
Choose a career that matters with UnityPoint Health Des Moines! UnityPoint Health - Des Moines is a family of four hospitals including Iowa Methodist Medical Center, Iowa Lutheran Hospital, Blank Children's Hospital and Methodist West Hospital. Our team members are the compassionate core of who we are and how we serve our patients and visitors every day.
Functions in accordance with the Iowa Standards of Practice for Registered Nurses (Iowa Administrative Code 655, Chapter 6, & 6.2) and the American Nurses Association (ANA) Scope and Standards of Practice (ANA, 2010).
- Provides and coordinates nursing care to patients utilizing the nursing process.
- Completes documentation to assure an accurate record of patient’s care.
- Utilizes critical thinking in making independent judgments, and maintains responsibility for the knowledge of conditions of assigned patients.
- Collaborates with physicians and other professionals in planning and implementing care within hospital policy and legal limitations.
- Assesses needs of patients and families, provides appropriate teaching to facilitate discharge planning, and makes the necessary referrals to community agencies to provide continuity of care.
- Demonstrates professional development by keeping abreast of current nursing practice and healthcare trends.
- Utilizes a holistic approach (considering physical, psych/social, spiritual, educational, safety, and related criteria) appropriate to the age of the patients served in the assigned service area.
- Delegates patient care based on clinical assessment and within scope of practice.
- Demonstrates the ability to consistently meet the department work schedule.
- Consistently delivers high quality care demonstrating knowledge and clinical skills of the specialty required on assigned unit in accordance with established policies and procedures and standards of care.
- Demonstrates initiative to improve quality of care, patient and employee safety, and customer service.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities, participates in peer review, seeks involvement in organizational initiatives and committees.
Education: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing or IA Board of Nursing approved nursing program. Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) is preferred.
Qualifications: Current active Iowa License to practice as a RN. Minimum of six months RN experience.
Department of Labor Level III (Medium) Work. Candidates must successfully complete a post-offer, pre-employment strength and agility test at Medium Level of Work.
***PLEASE NOTE: All newly licensed RNs with less than six months of RN experience and who are interested in this department or any other Acute RN role within UnityPoint Health – Des Moines, are encouraged and required to participate in the RN Residency program. Newly licensed nurses must apply for the Registered Nurse Residency position.
For more information about the program and upcoming cohort dates, please go to https://www.unitypoint.org/desmoines/nurse-residency-program.aspx