The House Administrator is responsible for the administrative and functional operations of the Health Center on a given shift. These functions are carried out according to the philosophy, objectives and policies of the Health Center and Acute Care Services Department to assure optimum patient care.
Identifies, analyzes, coordinates and evaluates complexity and volume of nursing care required to be consistent and supportive of master staffing plan, taking into account all legal regulatory statutes.
Consults with Administrative Directors, Directors, Managers and Charge Nurses on specific unit dynamics.
Assists with staffing issues in conjunction with staff charge nurses on a shift to shift basis.
Support staff development efforts and encourage quality performance through coaching, mentoring and empowerment of staff. In addition also contributes to the overall goals of the organization by promoting the practice of nursing and by serving on councils/committees relative to nursing and nursing care issues.
Recognize values and builds on diversity, vulnerability and strengths in people.
Exhibits an approachable interactive style in all hospital related relationships, while seeking and encouraging alternative views.
Acts with integrity and honesty, being willing to trust others and engender trust in the role as well as personally.
Makes rounds several times per shift on all nursing units, as well as other key areas of the hospital.
Collaborates with nursing and other disciplines/departments in scheduling admissions, following policies and guidelines for admissions, bed assignments and transfer to assure optimal delivery of patient care.
Directs personnel and coordinates various Code situations (i.e. Code Red, Code Blue, Code Pink, Disaster Plans and Weather Alerts).
Support all hospital policies, procedures and protocols of St. Mary’s Health Center and actively teaches and promotes same policies.
- Graduated from an accredited School of Nursing.
- Current Missouri license as a Registered Nurse. Current American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare provider certification/card or must obtain within 3 months of hire. ACLS certification/card or must obtain within 1 year of hire.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience as a professional nurse in an acute hospital setting. Minimum of one year successful management / supervisor experience or experience as a professional nurse in which potential administrative, supervisory, and problem solving competence has been demonstrated; or must show interest in developing skills in this area.
- Current working knowledge of Health Center policy and procedures. Ability to relate effectively to patients, families, physicians, staff and coworkers. Ability to communicate verbally, in writing, and in group situations. Ability to function effectively in stressful situations. Awareness of changing trends in nursing practice and ability to adapt, including knowledge of Missouri Nurse Practice Act. Ability and willingness to rotate shifts and adjust to necessary schedule changes.
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling up to 100 lbs.
- Stooping, kneeling and/or crouching daily
- Standing or walking more than 3 hours a day
- Running to respond to patient emergencies
- Reaching, grasping, fingering, and/or feeling more than 3 hours a day
- Visual acuity in order to correctly distinguish skin tone variations, evidence of IV infiltration, infection; able to read telemetry, blood pressure gauges, etc.
- Audio acuity in order to correctly distinguish various body sounds (i.e., respirations, heart tones, bowel sounds).
- Audio acuity to discern sounds made by various types of machinery or equipment that would indicate dangerous or improper operation
SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Jefferson City is a 167-bed, full-service community hospital located in Missouri's state capital. The hospital moved to a new, state-of-the-art building in November 2014. The hospital features a Wound Center and Outpatient Treatment Center. Other services offered at the hospital include emergency services, cardiology, orthopedic care, cancer care, outpatient surgical services, maternity care and women's health.