Lead RN Maternal Services
0.975 FTE Nights 7 p.m.-7 a.m., Fulltime benefit eligible
Ensures the daily organization of the department by helping to manage, coordinate, plan, and evaluate nursing procedures and personnel in the delivery of patient care, in coordination with the Nurse Manager. Assists with staffing of the units and acts as a division resource to the staff. Assists with scheduling, Kronos time keeping, staff development and education as well as direct patient care. The Lead RN will rotate between campuses in order to Foster Unity and help to decrease silos and will manage up each campus to ensure that teamwork is supported. The Lead RN will respond to the unit of greatest need and if need be they will switch between campuses during their scheduled shift. It is expected that they will physically round on each unit throughout their shift.
Staffing and Scheduling
- Assists with staffing of nursing units in relation to census fluctuations. Serves as a second assist as needed.
- Lead RN will be responsible for staffing decisions for their scheduled shift and will make staffing decisions for the following shift. Lead RN will work collaboratively with Charge RN’s to ensure each department has the appropriate staffing to properly care for their patients based on needs and acuity.
- Lead RN will be responsible for being aware of the staffing on all campuses including the patient volumes. This will be completed by active communication with the Charge Nurses. The Lead RN will facilitate this open communication by Fostering Unity between units and campuses. Leads will look ahead for staff holes in the upcoming days and will be proactive in finding coverage.
- Lead RN’s will be responsible for reviewing schedules assigned to them for accuracy and balance.
- Lead RN will work with nurse manager collaboratively to ensure there is appropriate coverage for the units.
- Assists with scheduling of the individual units and Kronos timecard record keeping.
- The Lead RN will communicate daily with the manager on duty regarding the facilitation of patient rounding on all units.
- The Lead RN will help to facilitate open communication among staff members by leading the way in our Focus Values.
- The Lead RN will maintain open communication with managers as pertinent to any patient or employee performance concerns.
- During employee evaluation periods, Lead RN will provide feedback on employee performance
Service and Coaching
- Coaching at the elbow will be a portion of the Lead RN’s daily responsibility- these will be turned in weekly to manager.
- Validations will be a portion of the Lead RN’s daily responsibility- these will be turned in weekly to the manager.
- It is expected that the Lead RN will round on all the units of the campus that they are stationed at for their shift.
- The Lead RN will work with manager to complete employee rounding.
- On weekends the Lead will coordinate with the educator on duty (if it is their assigned weekend) to ensure that all appropriate patients are rounded on during the weekends
- Assists with staff development and education by assisting in staff in services and education.
- Assist Nurse Educators with Education Days in addition to informal training with staff to reinforce best practices and utilization of equipment.
Education: RN. Previous management experience preferred. BSN preferred.
Experience: RN with licensure in Iowa & Illinois. CPR certification. NRP certification. ACLS or PALS. Certification in Obstetrics or Pediatrics, preferred
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Writes, reads, comprehends, speaks fluent English. Basic computer knowledge using word, excel, power point, spreadsheets, email and web browser. Preferred, Ability to identify and determine priority of the patients' needs and is aware of impending emergencies. Ability to problem solve, plan, organize, and direct nursing activities.
Lifting Requirements: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.