Registered Nurse – Operating Room
At Children’s Health, we value the role each team member plays in helping us deliver on our mission of making life better for children. We take pride in providing a rich and rewarding career opportunities that enable team members to reach their highest potential.
Since 2009, we have held the ANCC Magnet® designation for nursing excellence. We are nationally ranked in all 10 pediatric specialties by U.S. News & World Report, serve as the primary pediatric teaching facility for University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and are recognized for quality care in every specialty.
Children’s Health offers opportunities for learning and career development; competitive pay; and a comprehensive benefits program. We promote a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our team members have a voice in their work through surveys, pulses and town halls. And we honor and celebrate our staff with year-round employee appreciation events.
We invite you to learn more about Children’s Health.
About the Job
As part of the multidisciplinary team, this position is responsible for the care of surgical patients during the intraoperative phase. A successful team member in this position is a team player, flexible with changes, clear communicator, understands and assists with the roles of their peers, and is able to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
Some Highlighted Responsibilities
- Management of patients from newborn to 18 years old intraoperatively alongside surgical and anesthesia teams in the Operating Room
- Ensuring the safety and advocacy of patients while under general anesthesia
- Assisting the anesthesia team in placement of monitors and actively present during the induction and emergence stages of anesthesia
- Insertion of PIVs, typically under general anesthesia, but occasionally while awake in the older population
- Performing surgical counts, distributing medications to the back tables, surgical prepping of patients, and monitoring team to ensure sterility as needed
- Available during the case to obtain any needed equipment, medications, or supplies for the case for either surgical or anesthesia teams
- Documentation in the EPIC EMR system
- Services include: Dental, ENT, Ophthalmology, Orthopedics, Plastics, Oral and Maxillofacial, General Surgery, Urology, Robotics, Transplant, Neuro and Bariatric Surgery
- Weekday, weekend and holiday call is required, averaging 1 weekday per week and 1 weekend per month
- Average day utilizes 15 OR/procedure rooms and cres for 40-50 patients
Shift/Location: Monday - Friday 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. + call, Dallas, TX
The organization is moving towards a BSN workforce. Interested candidates should have a BSN, as this will be required of all direct patient care nurses effective 1/1/2021.
Licenses & certifications
Required: Current license to practice professional nursing in the State of Texas
Required: BLS for Healthcare Providers (American Heart Association)
Required (department-specific): PEARS/PALS/NRP/ACLS
In some service areas, Initial Pediatric Prevention and Management of Aggressive Behaviors (PPMAB) training must be completed within 60 days of hire and renewed annually required
2 years RN Operating Room experience
Location: Dallas, Texas
Activation Date: Thursday, December 12, 2019
Expiration Date: Saturday, August 1, 2020