The Intensive Care Unit is a 10-bed, modern unit specializing in the care of the critically ill adult and elderly adult. Special procedures include but are not limited to: intubations with mechanical ventilator management, arterial lines, TEE, insertion of temporary pacemakers and external pacing, and cardiac drips. We have an average daily census of 8. This unit also monitors as many as 24 telemetry units. The most frequent medical diagnoses seen are Myocardial Infarction, Congestive Heart Failure, Arrhythmias, COPD, Septic Shock, CVA, Overdoses, Hypertensive Crisis, Pneumonia and DKA. Common surgical conditions are Appendectomy, Exploratory laparotomy, Cholycytectomy (laparoscopic and open procedures), Bowel Resection, Hystercystectomy and Amputation.
The Spohn Kleberg ICU team is known for their expertise, loyalty, teamwork and dedication. They are excellent mentors and have helped many new nurses and students succeed. They provide excellent patient care and strive for customer satisfaction, which is evident by the unit consistently exceeding Press Ganey scores. The associates are involved with hospital committees and special events. The best part of working in the ICU is that we are truly a working family.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing. Able to assess, plan, implement and evaluate nursing care.
- One-year experience in nursing preferred.
- Current Texas State RN License
- CPR (American Heart Association)
- ACLS required within 6 months of hire/transfer date
- Unit Specific Requirements
- Ssh Icu/Micu (A3), Ssh Coronary Oth (A4), Ssh Cardio Icu (Cvicu), Ssh Icu/Micu 3 & Ssh Trauma Icu: NIHSS required within 90 days of hire/transfer date
- Ssh Icu/Micu (A3), Ssh Cardio Icu (Cvicu) & Ssh Icu/Micu 3: EKG within 90 days of hire/transfer date
- Ssh Trauma Icu: TNCC required within 18 months of hire/transfer date
- Ssh Trauma Icu: ENPC or PALS required within 18 months of hire/transfer date