Do you want to work for a stable, growing organization that reaches back more than 130 years? Our steel tube and pipe products have helped build landmarks and buildings in North America; Come build your career at Zekelman Industries!
Western Tube, a division of Zekelman Industries, seeks a Safety Coordinator for our facility in Long Beach, CA. Reporting to the Director of Corporate Health and Safety, this person is an assertive, decisive, action-taker who provides leadership and support to the facility in the area of Occupational Health and Safety. The Safety Coordinator is responsible for assisting with the development, implementation and execution of the facility’s Occupational Health and Safety Program and will continually strive to support the Company’s goals to provide and safe and healthy workplace to all of its employees.
- Provide coaching related to all safety and health matters to the facility’s management team with emphasis placed on front line supervision
- Assertively manage post-incident matters including incident investigations, post incident action items, Worker’s Compensation claims and Early and Safe Return to Work initiatives.
- Conduct various types of periodic inspections and audits of the facility, departments and specific equipment/positions in order to identify unsafe hazards and/or conditions
- Make recommendations and facilitate the implementation of effective measures in accordance with the hierarchy of safeguarding controls and Zekelman’s standards to eliminate or significantly reduce hazards to an acceptable level throughout the facility
- Facilitate and attend monthly union/management Joint Health and Safety Committee meetings, providing guidance and expertise on safety and health matters. Ensure that all action items resulting from meetings are followed up on through to completion
- Facilitate and attend monthly union/management Joint Health and Safety Committee plant audits, providing guidance, coaching and direction to JHSC members on relevant safety auditing fundamentals. Ensure that all action items resulting from JHSC audits are followed up on through completion.
- Develop and facilitate various training programs including, but not limited to, orientation, mobile equipment, crane, material handling, hazcom, as well as several others as required
- Develop and regularly maintain comprehensive Job Safety Analysis for all positions throughout the facility
- Maintain exceptionally detailed documentation pertaining to all safety and health matters including incident reports, risk assessments, Workers Compensation documentation, OSHA 300 logs and other documentation as required
- Provide regular progress updates to the Director of Health and Safety through various methods including basecamp, Intelex, email reports, and other methods of communication
- Provide assistance in safety related matters at all Zekelman facilities as required
- Remains informed on new legislation and regulations and ensures compliance as required
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree and 1-3 years of relevant experience, manufacturing or safety experience is a plus
- Exceptional project management skills
- Training program facilitation and management
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively work with all levels of employees
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to maintain security and confidentiality of sensitive documents and personnel information
- Experience using Excel, Powerpoint, Word and general technological savviness is required
- Workers Compensation Claim’s Management experience and knowledge of OSHA is a plus
Zekelman Industries, Inc. offers competitive compensation and excellent benefits, including low cost, high quality medical and dental benefits. In addition, we have an amazing tuition assistance program, a bonus plan, a 401(k) plan with a generous company match, immediate vesting and much more.