Job Description: Safety Engineer, Human Spaceflight (Tucson)
be responsible to develop derived requirements from supplied requirements, Identify and quantify design drivers, from supplied and derived requirements, Support development of robust, fail-safe, or fault tolerant architectures and components to satisfy safety requirements, Specify detailed safety requirements, including diagnostic and software requirements, Review equipment and test designs for safety issues, providing early and consistent feedback to ensure safety is considered throughout all stages of the design cycle, and generate controlled documentation including, safety policy and training document, safety assessment technical memorandums, or product manuals supporting Paragon Space Development's information systems in support of its business needs.
Additionally, this position must support interfacing with customers (internal and external) and suppliers to ensure that safety challenges that must be overcome are identified, tracked and resolved, Participates in, supports, or otherwise assists in internal and external SH&E audits for compliance with applicable local, state, and federal regulations, including safety requirements of NASA and the DOD and Develops and conducts training of safe work practices, proper use of safety equipment, and general compliance with SH&E (safety, health & environmental) regulations and company standards. Supports or leads efforts as SH&E Training Coordinator, including interacting with Facility Training Coordinator to ensure SH&E training plan/schedule and courses are implemented and records maintained in company-wide training system
- Knowledge and experience on the engineering product lifecycle, ranging from requirements development through design, manufacture, test, and operations
- Experience in risk assessment and management to include but not limited to risk management plans, processes, meetings, software, and mishap investigation;
- Familiarity with NASA safety review panel process and NASA ISS Hazard Database
- Experience in systems engineering/management techniques and analysis
- Ability to develop practical and tailored engineering solutions
- Ability to perform 1st order engineering analysis from first principles
- Skills in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Project)
- Ability to conceptualize design solutions and generate safety processes, process documentation and training materials
- Ability to effectively communicate in both written and spoken form
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, positive work relationships; have creativity, flexibility and resourcefulness; have discriminating judgment, tact and sense of humor
- Ability to evaluate design team designs and concepts and provide expert advice that will enhance the resulting designs
- Ability to train junior engineers in their duties
- Experience with design for minimum risk
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Bio-mechanical, Aerospace Engineering or equivalent field and 5-8 years with system and/or hardware design and analysis experience
- Master's degree in Mechanical, Bio-mechanical, Aerospace Engineering or equivalent field and 4-6 years with system and/or hardware design and analysis experience
- PhD degree in Mechanical, Bio-mechanical, Aerospace Engineering or equivalent field and 0-2 years with system and /or hardware design experience in the aerospace industry.
- Safety and Health or a related discipline and 2 years of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is desired
- Experience in one or more of the following discipline areas: Human Spaceflight Safety
Who we are
As Paragon Space Development celebrates 26+ years of providing award-winning life support and thermal control solutions for extreme environments, we've recognized that it is our employees that keep our business thriving. By any measure, Paragon is an exciting and rewarding place to work. Our goal is to hire the best and allow you to do the work that you enjoy! We are interested in developing individuals who enjoy a challenge and like working on a variety of projects in a fast-paced environment.