Performs a wide range of environmental, health and safety tasks to achieve compliance with Birla Carbon’s E,H & S standards, best management practices, and federal, state, and/or local regulatory requirements.
Assists in the development, implementation and maintenance of environmental, health, and safety programs, systems and procedures necessary to provide for safe and healthy working conditions for employees and operate the facility in an environmentally responsible manner.
1. Conducts and assists with E,H & S assessments in conjunction with management and associates to ensure compliance with applicable standards, best management practices, procedures and regulatory requirements and develops action plans to correct any deficiencies.
2. Develops and implements (with the plant manager’s approval) environmental management system elements such as site specific policies/procedures, impact analysis etc.
3. Coordinates medical surveillance programs, including audiometric, pulmonary function and respiratory fit testing and reviews results with employees.
4. Administers site-specific EH&S orientation for new employees, visitors, and contractors, conducts required EH&S training for employees and facilitates development of action-oriented safety and environmental meetings.
5. Evaluates department compliance with key EH&S procedures (confined space entry, line breaking, lock-out / tag-out, environmental release reporting, emergency action plans, noise and hearing conservation, etc.) and works to strengthen compliance where necessary.
6. Leads team in investigating the root cause of all EH&S incidents including, but not limited to, reportable accidents, near misses and environmental releases.
7. Conducts or coordinates comprehensive industrial hygiene monitoring.
8. Assists in the development, maintenance and implementation of 1) environmental best management practices and programs to minimize and eliminate potential environmental, health and safety hazards as well as 2) required regulatory compliance programs at the facility.
9. Stays current on new safety and environmental laws and regulations and prepares required reports, permit applications and other regulatory required records or documents for meeting environmental requirements.
10. Performs any other tasks as are necessary to accomplish primary purpose of the position.
3-7 years progressive EH&S program experience in a manufacturing environment.
Working knowledge of EH&S regulations.
Ability to work in a team-based environment.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Proven analytical and computer skills.
Must demonstrate safe work practices