What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
Job Summary:The primary responsibility of the Sales Manager is to promote sales and increase market share in assigned territories. In collaboration with Account Executives and Underwriters, the Sales Manager will seek to increase premium production, and work with independent insurance agencies to retain and increase their business, while scouting out new opportunities. This is an outside sales position, with regular and routine travel, including overnight stays, within assigned geographic region.
- Strengthen and develop both new and existing relationships with independent insurance agencies.
- Travel and visit insurance agencies (weekly) within assigned territory on a regular basis and facilitate agency transactions to maintain and grow business.
- Identify market potential, initiate sales process effectively and persuasively, close sales; expand sales through planning and persistence.
- Evaluate the performance of agencies within assigned territory.
- Work closely with Underwriting group to manage each agency’s book of business.
- Represent Markel Specialty at conventions and other industry related events
- Work effectively and efficiently with team members
- Bachelor's degree required, business related preferred
- 3-5+ years prior business to business sales experience
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills and problem solving abilities
- Proven track record of maintaining established and healthy relationships while seeking opportunities for new business
- Proven to be results oriented and meet sales objectives assigned to them (shown to be driven and competitive through their contributions)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Products, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience leveraging credible online sources for industry related research
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.