Title: Sales & Service Tech
Location: Burney, CA
Internal Posting: 11/6/19 to 11/13/19
Union: IBEW 1245/303
Install, replace, repair and/or rearrange service drops, aerial, buried and underground cables, and associated inside/outside wiring (aerial and buried). Connect drops, local cables, and inside/outside wiring to a variety of terminals. Make various attachments to poles, buildings, etc., as required, using hand/motorized tools, following installation diagrams, work orders, service orders and blueprints. Test and inspect to ensure that activities performed, and all services installed function properly. Test cable air pressure systems and perform maintenance as required. Install fiber-optic cable to curb terminals. Perform maintenance splicing (copper/fiber). Perform cable pair recovers for new work orders. Maintain all analog/digital carrier systems (subscriber).
Perform such work under minimum supervision. Operate company vehicle.
Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Read an interpret information provided by the service order, work order and blueprints such as name, address of customer, and type of activities to be performed, using appropriate tools, equipment and supplies required.
- Install, rearrange, change, repair and remove drops, cables, and associated wiring. Install private lines and circuits and verify trouble-free continuity by loop care testing. The nature of this work is a variety of tasks with only general guidelines as to instructions, practices, and/or procedures in performing the work.
- Use basic arithmetic (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) to determine the most practical way to bring wire from pole to building and how to run wire inside building.
- Handle and climb ladders and poles, crawl under dwellings, work in attics, underground and other confined areas to adjust faulty equipment or wiring, using a variety of hand/motorized tools.
- Work with customers to evaluate and suggest how to improve service and make sales effort with all customers for network services and single line products. This work involves using tact and persuasion to influence the action and attitudes of customers.
- Perform maintenance splicing on copper and/or fiber-optic cable.
- Conduct cable pair recovery for non-work orders.
- Maintain all analog/digital carrier systems for subscriber.
- Make appropriate notations on service orders, work orders, blueprints, or other work documentation to indicate completion of work, including time spent, changes from original work requested, and charges for work completed, when appropriate. This may involve manual notations or entries to company work administration systems using automated entry such as Viryanet. Update all records as required.
May be required to perform additional duties and tasks as required by the Company.
- Must possess, at time of appointment, a valid California class “C” driver’s license and, if required at the assigned job site, must demonstrate proficiency in the operation of a vehicle equipped with standard (manual shift) transmission.
- Legally required Criminal Records Check – Employee will be required to be fingerprinted and pass the Department of Justice criminal records screening process in order to ensure that the employee has never been convicted of, and is not the defendant in a pending criminal proceeding with respect to an arrest for, any “serious” or “violent” felony (as defined in the California Education and Penal Codes). The Department of Justice will continuously monitor the employee’s criminal record while the employee is employed in this position, and the employee shall be required to pass such continuous screening in order to retain this position.
- Must possess the ability to perceive difference in colors.
- Must possess the ability to distinguish audible tones/levels.
- Experience - Management will designate the experience level required for each vacancy.
- First consideration will be given to an individual who in the last 10 years has successfully held the position of Customer Service Technician I, Senior Technician – Business/Government, Equipment Installer, Equipment Maintainer, Special Equipment Installer and Senior Special Services Provisioning Technician or who possesses the equivalent experience (i.e., other telecommunications company experience).
- Second consideration will be given to an individual who in the last 10 years has successfully held the position of Customer Engineer-Data Applications, Customer Service Technician II, Fiber Network Field Technician, Internal Communications Technician, Senior Communications Specialist or who possesses the equivalent experience (i.e., other telecommunications company experience).
- Third consideration will be given to an individual who in the last ten years has successfully held the position of Cable Splicer, Customer Service Technician III and Frame Worker or who possess the equivalent experience (i.e. other telecommunications company experience)
- If there are no individuals who meet the criteria outlined above, consideration will be given to all other individuals.