Position: Purchasing Manager
Be the happiest part of people's day at our Portland Central Kitchen as our Purchasing Manager!
As a Purchasing Manager for Salt and Straw you will be responsible for sourcing goods, services and managing supplier relationships. The successful candidate in this position will be able to collaborate with multiple departments to establish a seamless supply plan. Working hand and hand with Recipe Development, Quality Assurance, Demand Planner, Manufacturing, Warehouse/Logistics Manager, and Salt and Straw partners. Experience in high growth fast paced environment is necessary.
- Develop, lead and execute key purchasing strategies that support company values, standards and innovation vision
- Conduct research, negotiate terms, procure products, and onboard top suppliers in terms of best value, delivery schedules, quality materials, and supplies
- Track and report key functional metrics to reduce expenses and improve effectiveness
- Partner with key stakeholders (R & D and Quality Assurance) to ensure proper documentation requirements are being meant
- Manage inventory budget for the assigned areas (raw ingredients, packaging, supplies, ect.)
- Lead and Manage our Purchasing Coordinators.
- Forecast price and market trends to identify changes of balance in buyer-supplier power
- Forecast levels of demand for services and products to meet the business needs and keeping a constant check on stock levels
- Perform cost and scenario analysis, and benchmarking
- Assess, manage and mitigate risks, collaborate with manager to make appropriate decisions
- Utilize supplier scorecard to evaluate supplier performance and escalate issues
- Perform on-site audits/visits to potential or current suppliers using Salt and Straw Supplier standards
- Evaluate vendor quotes and services for proper credentials and ensure that each vendor meets the applicable criteria
- Execute, compile and retain procurement related documents for record retention and compliance purposes i.e. SPEC sheets, COA’s, contracts, agreements, terms, etc..
- Assist in the preparation for independent reviews of procurement records and reports
- Develop and implement purchasing and contract management instructions, policies, and procedures
- Represent company in negotiating contracts and formulating policies with suppliers
- Review, evaluate, and approve specifications for issuing and awarding bids
- Prepare reports regarding market conditions and merchandise costs
- Arrange for disposal of surplus materials with Warehouse Manager
- Liaison between suppliers, manufacturers and relevant internal departments
- Identify potential suppliers, visit existing suppliers, and build and maintain good relationships with them
- Other duties as required
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree is required. A degree focused in Supply Chain, Business.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in operations or related field (Supply Chain, Planning, Logistics, Project Management, Purchasing, Customer Support, Contract Management, Material Management) required. 2+ years of experience in Supply Chain Execution is preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint applications is required. Previous ERP knowledge is preferred.
- APICS Certification is preferred. Experience with Six Sigma/Process Excellence tools, training, and/or certification is a plus.
- The qualified candidate must have strong analytical and quantitative skills, excellent communication, and presentation skills.
- The ability to effectively manage projects and timelines to meet schedules is required
- Education: A bachelor's degree in business or economics or business administration degree with an emphasis in demand planning.
5+ years experience in Demand Planning/Supply Chain role
Experience with ERP programs (enterprise level preferred)
- Proven working experience as purchasing manager, agent or officer
- Familiarity with sourcing and vendor management
- Interest in market dynamics along with business sense
- A knack for negotiation and networking
- Working experience of vendor management software
- Ability to gather and analyze data and to work with figures
- Solid judgment along with decision making skills
- Strong leadership capabilities
- BS degree in supply chain management, logistics or business administration
Physical Demands - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to regularly talk, hear and see. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust and focus. Occasionally the employee may be required to lift and carry up to 25 lbs., Reach at, below or above shoulder height, Stoop, Push and/or Pull, Twist, Bend, Sit, Stand, and Walk;
Work Environment – The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Floor surface vary from hard tiled floor or concrete to carpet;
- Ability to tolerate a high level work pace that is typical for a retail food industry;
- The noise level in the work environment can be loud;
- Can handle extreme temperatures; cold refrigeration and freezers.
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance, Life Insurance & AD&D Coverage
- Short-Term Disability Insurance, Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Holidays and Paid Time Off
- Employee assistance program (counseling)
- Maternal & Paternal Leave
- And....... lots of Free ice cream