As a patient-focused organization, University of Utah Health exists to enhance the health and well-being of people through patient care, research and education. Success in this mission requires a culture of collaboration, excellence, leadership, and respect. University of Utah Health seeks staff that are committed to the values of compassion, collaboration, innovation, responsibility, diversity, integrity, quality and trust that are integral to our mission. EO/AA
This position is responsible for coordinating department/program schedules, and may perform other related duties pertaining to staffing, surgery, equipment purchasing, and expenditure. This position is not responsible for providing direct patient care.
Corporate Overview: The University of Utah is a Level 1 Trauma Center and is nationally ranked and recognized for our academic research, quality standards and overall patient experience. Our four hospitals and seventeen clinics provide excellence in our comprehensive services, medical advancement, and overall patient outcomes.
- Schedules diagnostic tests, procedures and surgeries and may provide patient with necessary preparation instructions.
- Prepares, processes, and manages patient documentation to department database.
- Acts as a liaison between the patient and billing department; enhances account receivables, resolving outstanding issues and/or patient concerns.
- Performs daily monitoring and working of the schedule queues.
- Coordinates schedules for staffing.
- Maintains schedule by revising and updating them as necessary depending on circumstances.
- Coordinates services with other departments.
- Provides statistical reports and participates in quality improvement projects by developing data collection tools, analyzing, compiling and reporting data, and providing input to the QI process.
- May assist in routine clerical functions, including ordering supplies, surgical instruments and equipment.
- Prepares training material and coordinates training of staff.
- May obtain insurance pre-authorization and other related appropriate documentation.
- Compiles and maintains accurate departmental records to include but not limited to payroll and employee information.
- May monitor staffing requirements and assures compliance with accreditation body.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Ability to coordinate, revise and maintain the department schedules.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of life span growth and development and the ability to assess data regarding the patients status and provide care as described in the department's policies and procedures manual.
- Ability to assess data regarding the patient's status and provide care as described in the department's policies and procedures manual.
- Ability to display active listening and verbalize empathy.
- Ability to quickly learn new procedures and process.
- Able to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to develop relationships with patients, guests and coworkers.
- Demonstrated knowledge of HIPAA regulations to ensure patient information is guarded and respected.
- Three years of experience working in a medical office or clinic, with an emphasis in scheduling in a related area, or equivalency.
- Certificate in Medical Terminology.
- Certification related to specific area, and/or additional years of related experience.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
Employee must be able to meet the following requirements with or without an accommodation.
- This is a sedentary position that may exert up to 10 pounds and may lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. This position involves sitting most of the time and is not exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
Color Determination, Listening, Manual Dexterity, Near Vision, Reaching, Sitting, Speaking, Standing, Walking