This posting is for Short Term 2019-2020 SY
Job Title: School Bus Mechanic
- High school diploma or equivalent
- CPR/First Aid Certificate
- Commercial Driver’s License (Class B) with the appropriate endorsements. One year of school bus driving experience is preferred.
- No more than one preventable accident in the past driving year.
- Minimum 24 years of age.
- Minimum of three years in auto and diesel mechanics
- 3 years driving experience in addition to meeting the standard requirements of a school bus driver.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Must have knowledge of both gas and diesel equipment and operation of jacks, dollies, and automotive equipment and tools.
- Uses tools or equipment with expertise acquired through extensive experience and/or specialized training.
- Performs necessary bus and vehicle repairs as indicated by bus drivers and other drivers. Diagnoses problems, test drives equipment before and after repair to ensure proper working order.
- Performs daily and periodic preventive maintenance, fluid levels, brakes, tire condition, tune ups, lubes, etc. to buses and maintenance vehicles. Greases vehicles, changes oil and oil filters.
- Performs inspections to vehicles. Safety inspects all buses and vehicles.
- Maintains necessary records of service to vehicles/buses.
- Maintains a clean service center; maintains tools in a safe and clean manner.
- Use district-approved techniques to maintain order on their bus and enforce school safety standards.
Must provide own tools necessary to maintain diesel and gas engines.
- Drive as a fill-in for a regular route driver, as assigned.
- Good communication skills (oral, written, or business): Basic communication skills to exchange information give/receive simple instructions and respond to inquiries. Accurately completes written records of work performed.
- Remain alert to prevent accidents, especially in heavy traffic or in bad weather, and to avoid sudden stops or swerves that jar passengers.
- Exercise particular caution when children are getting on or off the bus.
- Know and enforce the school system’s rules regarding student conduct.
- School bus drivers must have or acquire skills to accommodate students with special needs.
- Responsible for conducting daily pre- and post-inspections per state guidelines.
- Will receive mandatory state training and ongoing in-service classroom training as required by the state and the district, to include State and local laws, regulations, and policies; safe driving practices; driver-pupil relations; first aid; emergency evacuation procedures; and the special needs of students who are disabled or emotionally troubled. School bus drivers also must be aware of the school system’s rules for discipline and conduct for bus drivers and the students they transport.
- Complies with state-approved New Mexico Administrative Code of Ethical Responsibility of the Education Profession and the RRPS Employee Standards of Conduct and upholds and enforces rules, administrative directives and regulations, school board policies, and local, state and federal regulations.
- Employee may be assigned other duties based on the needs of the district during the term of employment.
Work Hours: Work hours will be in accordance with hours determined by the Director of Transportation.
Reports to: Transportation Shop Supervisor
Evaluated by: Transportation Shop Supervisor
To complete this application, the following documents must be attached:
- High School Diploma or GED Certificate
- CDL License or be able to test and obtain CDL License
- CDL License or driver's license (please attach to licensure field)
An Equal Opportunity Employer