Primary Function (Job Goal)
- To assist in the care, safety and support of students to and from school on an assigned transportation route while traveling in a school bus in an assigned vehicle.
- Responsible for the safe and appropriate operation of adaptive equipment assigned to the school bus/vehicle and/or assigned to the students riding the school bus.
- Assist the school bus driver in providing age-appropriate activities to reduce inappropriate behaviors and meet the goals established by the student’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and/or Behavioral Intervention Plan (BIP).
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Pre-employment medical examination, including tuberculosis clearance
- Random alcohol and drug test
- Pass Fingerprint/Background Clearance including Federal Bureau of Investigation
Utilization of some resources from other work units may be required to perform the job's functions. This includes, but is not limited to, communicating clearly and accurately with staff members, administrators and parents concerning the behavior of a student on a school bus and document, in writing, when necessary, the behavior of a student(s) on a school bus. There is a continual opportunity to significantly impact the Organization’s services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands:
occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant finger dexterity in order to operate a two-way radio when needed. Ability to climb stairs and safely assist students in evacuating the bus through the emergency exit door. Generally the job requires 60% sitting, 20% walking, and 20% standing.
The job is performed in a motorized vehicle in all types of weather and traffic conditions.
Essential Duties and Performance Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Note: The bus driver remains responsible for the transportation and students in the bus. The Bus Monitor is assisting with a particular assignment with identified students.
- Monitors students throughout the bus route to ensure student safety, that seat belts are used when needed, that wheelchairs are securely tied-down, etc., and the bus rules are followed.
- Is knowledgeable about each assigned student’s needs, including medical concerns. May be required to assume responsibility for performing the personal care required by a student’s IEP during the boarding, transporting and departing of students.
- Operates all adaptive equipment assigned to the bus and to the assigned students, including the adaptive transportation lift.
- Familiar with the operation of all assigned communications equipment, including the two-way radio (in accordance with district policy), bus evacuation and accident procedures, and able to operate them accurately and safely.
- May be required to exercise student management through correct use of communication and disciplinary procedures to assure minimal distractions to the bus driver and report discipline problems using appropriate school district procedures.
- Familiarize him/herself with the safety rules of the job and participate in all safety training provided by the school district and implement the safety rules on the assigned bus/vehicle.
- Works in a friendly manner with co-workers, students, parents, other school employees and community.
- Assists in the boarding, transporting and departing of students.
- Provides necessary assistance to assigned students
- Provides support and instruction to help students understand and comply with the school bus safety rules by monitoring students throughout the bus route.
- Assists with basic first aid when required.
- Maintains associated paperwork, reports and documentation as requested.
- Maintains good work habits through timeliness and reliable attendance for daily assignment.
- Maintains confidentiality at all times.
- Performs other tasks and assumes such other responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time.
Work Schedule (Approximately):
Monday - Friday (on student attendance days - 9 months)
Morning Hours:6:30 AM - 9:00AM
Afternoon Hours: 12:00PM- 3:30 PM
(Hours are approximate and not guaranteed at this point)
Benefits will be prorated based on full time equivalency (FTE)
Apply on line only.
Administrators review submitted applications on a regular basis and contact potential candidates for interviews.