1. California Registered Nurse License
2. California School Nurse credential
3. A Bachelor's degree (BA or BS) from an accredited college or university
4. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
5. Valid California driver's license and personal car for use on district business REPORTS TO:
Administrator as assigned SUPERVISES:
Staff as assigned JOB GOAL:
To assist and support district staff and community in implementing and promoting Coordinated School Health programs to strengthen and facilitate the educational process. Implement the Bakersfield City School District Values, Vision and Mission in accordance with the District Local Educational Plan, Local Control Accountability Plan and policiesPERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinate communicable disease prevention through immunization and other programs in accordance with state law and District protocol
- Assess and evaluate the health and developmental status of students to identify factors that may impact the learning process and participate in 504, IEP and other relevant meetings
- Interpret medical records, nurse findings, health and developmental assessments to parents, teachers, administrators and other professionals directly concerned with the student
- Design and implement health maintenance plans to meet the individual health needs of the students and staff
- Refer the student and parent/guardian to appropriate community resources for necessary services
- Maintain communication with parent/guardian and all involved community practitioners and agencies to promote needed treatment and secure reports of findings pertinent to educational planning
- Act as a participant in implementing any section or sections of a comprehensive health instruction curriculum for students by providing current scientific information regarding nutrition, preventive dentistry, mental health, genetics, prevention of communicable diseases, self-health care, consumer education and other areas of health
- Serve as a resource person to parents, staff teachers and administrators through consultation and in-service training
- Assist students, parent/guardian and staff to identify and utilize appropriate health delivery service and to address financial, transportation and other barriers to needed health and social services
- Counsel with parent/guardian, students and staff regarding health-related attendance problems
- Counsel with parent/guardian, students and staff to understand and adjust to physical, mental and social limitations
- Explore with parent/guardian, students and staff attitudes, information and values which affect their health behavior
- Adhere to the National Association of School Nurses and California School Nurses Organization code of ethics and standards, California Business and Profession Codes
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Current School Nurse Annual Salary Schedule - 184 DayEVALUATION:
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with the District's "Improvement of Professional Services" handbook, Board Policies and Procedures
and consistent with collective bargaining agreements when applicableNEW PROBATIONARY EMPLOYEES AND PERMANENT EMPLOYEES WHO BECOME PROBATIONARY UPON RECLASSIFICATION:
A new employee, or a permanent employee who is changed to a new classification, shall serve a probationary period, which shall not exceed one (1) year of duty time exclusive of leaves of absence or other absences. During this probationary period the employee must meet the required standards of performance to be recommended for permanent status in the classification. A probationary classified service employee may be terminated from the probationary classification at any time without cause, without right of appeal or hearing before the Board of Education. Pursuant to Education Code section 45113, a permanent employee who accepts a promotion and fails to complete the probationary period for that promotional position, shall be employed in the classification from which he or she was promoted.MINIMUM APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:
An online application and any documents listed below must be submitted to be considered for the position
The following documents must be submitted with the online application:
Copies of required certificates, transcripts or diplomas may be submitted with application. District may require that originals be presented for verification prior to employment. Please check with Human Resources regarding acceptable documents. For positions requiring college course work official transcripts will be required upon employment.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Proof of California Registered Nurse License
- Proof of California School Nurse Credential (Proof of Bachelor's degree may be submitted if no credential is held)
It is the applicant’s responsibility to meet all application requirements and supply copies of all required documents. A separate set of paperwork is required for each application submitted. All application materials submitted become the property of Bakersfield City School District. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Some positions may require proof of privately owned automobile insurance and the possession of a valid California Motor Vehicle operator’s license. Fingerprint clearance by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the California Department of Justice is a condition of appointment after all other required job conditions have been met. Must present verification of completion of Child Abuse Mandated Reporter training or obtain verification within six (6) weeks of hire and annually thereafter, as required by the California Child Abuse Neglect Reporting Act.
The Bakersfield City School District wishes to thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Positions may be re advertised or application deadlines extended at the discretion of the District. Unless otherwise notified by the District, applications received in response to this bulletin will be considered for available District positions in this classification during the current school year. Those meeting minimum qualifications, including passage of required tests, will remain active during this time. Applicants will not be individually notified of their application status. Any candidates contacting, directly or indirectly, any member of the Board of Education and/or administration with the intention of influencing their or another candidates selection to any administrative position shall be disqualified without recourse.
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute a contract expressed or implied and any of the provisions contained herein may be modified or revoked without notice. NONDISCRIMINATION POLICY
Bakersfield City School District prohibits unlawful discrimination, including discriminatory harassment, intimidation, and bullying of District employees and job applicants on the basis of actual or perceived characteristics of race or ethnicity, color, ancestry, nationality, national origin, ethnic group identifications, age, religion, marital or parental status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, or genetic information or any other characteristic identified in Education Code 200 or 220, Penal code 422.55, or Government Code 11135, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.
If you believe you have been subjected to discrimination, harassment, intimidation, or bullying, you should immediately contact the District’s Human Resource Administrator, at 661-631-4663, or at 1300 Baker Street, Bakersfield, California 93305. A copy of BCSD’s Uniform Complaint Procedures and Non-Discrimination policies are available upon request.