A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Science- and Business Alliance Manager works in line with "Strategy and Transformation" strategic needs, to drive new opportunities for partnerships with academic institutions and businesses in the Materials- and Life Science space, based on the West Coast of the US. The role will encompass evaluating technologies, handling partnerships (confidentiality agreements, research agreements, IP etc), developing strategies, portfolio analysis and aligning with S&T strategy.
Will be integrated within the Innovation Hub unit of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany in Silicon Valley and supporting the local team with expertise in innovation processes as well as strategies.
INTERNAL WITHIN Merck:
- Innovation Hub (China) and Innovation Centre Darmstadt
- All sectors: MilliporeSIGMA, EMD Healthcare, EMD Performance Materials
- All areas of "Strategy and Transformation" incl. "New Business Builder" (NBB), "Chief Digital Office" and "M Ventures"
- Merck Global Technology Scouting Network
- Merck Group Functions incl. Business Technology (BT)
EXTERNAL TO Merck:
- Centers of excellence for scientific, material and consumer research
- Key Thought Leaders from scientific, research, and industrial settings
- Open innovation/pre-competitive R&D centers
- Venture companies/incubators/accelerators
- Biotechnology, pharma, consumer health and new materials companies and academia
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
Overall Goal is to tap into the ecosystem of the Silicon Valley to ideate, seed and create new business opportunities within and beyond the Merck sectors by fostering innovation.
- Manage project portfolio ensuring their optimized position regarding strategic, scientific and economic aspects.
- Is responsible for establishing innovation strategies, identifying partners and opportunities and determining the feasibility of technology- or product development.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key opinion leaders, scientists, innovators and entrepreneurs in both academic and business settings. The main geographic area of focus is the US West Coast.
- Develop models and identify opportunities for new open innovation partnerships. Work closely with the company's "Strategy and Transformation" and "New Business Builder" (NBB) groups to set strategic priorities and scope.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the company's competitive landscape in Life Science, Biopharmaceuticals and Material Science.
- Work closely with company Sectors and Innovation Centers in Germany and China to support the evaluation, and execution of external agreements for partnerships and technology in-licensing.
- Secure successful execution of partnerships all the way to achieving the envisioned goals.
- Work closely with peers in the sectors and the Innovation Center/-Hub in Germany/ China to further shape the company's global external innovation model and develop the Silicon Valley Innovation Hub to its next level.
- Business intelligence: Develop landscapes conc IP, technologies, market, key players, funding at the West coast. Identify strategies, priorities, and examples of collaborations that other corporations have developed to support their research/innovation.
- Support branding and recognition of MERCK KGaA as a science and technology company: will initiate, coordinate, and conduct workshops, meet-ups and other events
EDUCATION & LANGUAGES
- PhD/MD and/or MBA
- Fluent in English
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Has built a local (Bay Area and surrounding regions) network of scientists, key opinion leaders, investors and entrepreneurs active in the fields of life science, material science and healthcare.
- 10 or more years of relevant experience: R&D, Portfolio- or Technology Office expertise in the fields of life science, material science and healthcare.
- Broad knowledge of the fields of life science is required. Strong know-how in chemical or material science, electronics and data analytical tools is a plus.
- Experience in identifying, evaluating and executing external partnerships, and understanding of equity investing.
- Experience in business development.
- Familiar with budget-, strategy- and innovation processes
- Developed relationships with early-stage startups, accelerators, venture funds
PERSONAL SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong social and networking skills
- Creative thinker with strong ability to "live in the world of possibility"
- Strategic and analytical mindset, as well as the ability to lead through influence.
- Strong team player with a "can do" mentality
- Strong data and information analysis skills
- Self-motivated and pro-active
- Position requires both domestic and international travel up to 25% of time
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.