The ideal candidate for this position is a physician with post-graduate training (residency) in one of the major medical disciplines (preferably obstetrics and gynecology or pediatrics), fellowship training, and experience in a research environment as an investigator and/or grantee.
The Scientific Project Manager will work with the Project Site Manager, Section Chief, and Branch Chief of the Perinatology Research Branch to:
- Define projects, itemize objectives, timetables, resources and deliverables. This will require understanding of the medical and scientific background for each project.
- Assess the inventory of projects that WSU and PRB must deliver on a yearly basis to achieve the programmatic goals of both WSU and PRB.
- Develop and organizational chart that takes into account the goals of each Section, the support staff required, and the relationship among Sections.
- Participate in Section Head Meetings to monitor and document implementation plans to execute the research agenda of the Branch.
- Participate in the writing of clinical and translational research protocols, including yearly review of IRB protocols, report of adverse events, and other regulatory requirements.
- Interact with the Institutional Review Board of participating Institutions.
- Coordinate and oversee preparation of clinical and translational research protocols, manuals of operation, data collection tools, consent forms and more.
- Monitor the progress of different research projects.
- Integrate deliverables from different sections and laboratories to assure completion of projects within time and budget.
- Participate in the drafting of manuscripts for publication in scientific journals.
- Support the development and update of the website of the PRB, WSU, and the combined MFM/Genetics Fellowship.
- Support the clinical epidemiology activities required for the maintenance of databases including the phases of data collection, data entry, and ensuring data quality, and availability.
The individual chosen for this position will become part of a highly successful, fast-paced research group that focuses on clinical and translational research in obstetrics, maternal-fetal medicine, and related disciplines. The goal of this internationally recognized research group is to understand the mechanisms of disease of obstetrical syndromes and to develop novel diagnostic, therapeutic and preventative strategies to reduce adverse pregnancy outcome, infant mortality and disabilities. The research agenda requires input from obstetricians, neonatologists, epidemiologists, pathologists, and scientists with expertise in maternal-fetal immunology, microbiology, single-cell genomics, computational biology, molecular medicine, advanced imaging with ultrasound, and magnetic resonance imaging.
To be considered for this position, it is recommended that the candidate demonstrate the following:
- M.D. or M.D., Ph.D.
- Completed residency training in a medical discipline relevant to the research agenda of the PRB.
- Completed a clinical Fellowship program.
- Experienced in the conduct of clinical and translational research.
- Demonstrated broad knowledge of understanding of the scientific method, academic environment, and technologies applicable to biological sciences, in general, and obstetrics and maternal-fetal medicine in particular.
- Familiar with management principles, administration, supervision of a diverse workforce.
- A sound understanding of academic research and related issues together with extensive experience in complex, multi-disciplinary programs (administrative and scientific).
- Ability to foster teamwork.
- Knowledge of procedures to protect human subjects from research risk.
- Impeccable oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
The position is immediately available. A curriculum vitae, brief letter describing your qualifications, and professional objectives with salary expectations should be provided when applying through the Wayne State University website to posting number 045275.
Wayne State University is a premier, public, urban research university located in the heart of Detroit where students from all backgrounds are offered a rich, high quality education. Our deep-rooted commitment to excellence, collaboration, integrity, diversity and inclusion creates exceptional educational opportunities preparing students for success in a diverse, global society. WSU encourages applicants from women, people of color and other underrepresented people. WSU is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
- Prescription Drug Coverage
- Paid sick days
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Holidays
- Maternity/Paternity Paid Leave
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life Insurance
- Vacation/paid time off
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Professional Development
- Long Term Disability