Scientist I Antibody Discovery
We are seeking a scientist with experience in vaccine or therapeutics discovery and development for emerging infectious diseases, specifically for SARS-CoV-2. The candidate will be responsible for evaluating vaccine responses to SARS-CoV-2 vaccine candidates, including evaluating serology and memory B cell responses. The candidate will also lead efforts for monoclonal antibody discovery and characterization. Finally, the candidate will design and implement vaccine studies in relevant animal models as well as antibody passive transfer and therapy studies. This will be a 2-year position focused on SARS-CoV-2 with the opportunity of extension to other emerging infectious diseases (EID) based on performance and will be based at the Neutralizing Antibody Center, which is a joint venture between IAVI and Scripps Research. Experience with management and project management is preferred.
• Coordination with IAVI’s Design and Development Laboratory (DDL) in Brooklyn, NY
• Leading antibody response efforts from preclinical immunization experiments, including design and implementation of serology assays and memory B cell sorting
• Production and purification of relevant antigens from SARS-CoV-2 and future emerging infectious diseases
• Leading antibody discovery efforts from convalescent donor samples
• Design and implementation of relevant animal models for evaluation of monoclonal antibodies and vaccine candidates
• Drafting and submission of manuscripts, presentations at international conferences
• Some grant writing
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
• PhD in molecular biology/biochemistry/immunology/microbiology or a related discipline with at least 3 years of relevant experience in immunology or microbiology
• Experience in antibody assay development, including neutralization and effector function assays (ADCC, CDC, ADCP, etc)
• Experience in the design and evaluation of responses in different animal models, including mice and non-human primates
• Experience with single cell sorting, 10x genomics, and other related antibody isolation platforms
• Experience with BSL-3 protocols and procedure
• Some experience with robotics preferred
• Must be able to meet deadlines in a fast-paced quickly changing environment
• Independent leader with experience managing a sub-team
• Cultural sensitivity and respect for diverse colleagues
• Professional level verbal and written communication skills
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Mobility to perform the essential functions of the position
• Hearing and speech sufficient to verbally communicate in person and on the telephone constantly (66-100%)
• Typical office environment
• Occasional travel off-site for team meetings with collaborators, as needed (up to 20%)
• Ability to travel to IAVI offices in New York
• Perform other duties as assigned
IAVI IS A NONPROFIT SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH ORGANIZATION DEDICATED TO ADDRESSING URGENT, UNMET GLOBAL HEALTH CHALLENGES INCLUDING HIV AND TUBERCULOSIS. OUR MISSION IS TO TRANSLATE SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERIES INTO AFFORDABLE, GLOBALLY ACCESSIBLE PUBLIC HEALTH SOLUTIONS.
THROUGH SCIENTIFIC AND CLINICAL RESEARCH IN AFRICA, INDIA, EUROPE, AND THE U.S., IAVI IS PIONEERING THE DEVELOPMENT OF BIOMEDICAL INNOVATIONS DESIGNED FOR BROAD GLOBAL ACCESS. WE DEVELOP VACCINES AND ANTIBODIES IN AND FOR THE DEVELOPING WORLD AND SEEK TO ACCELERATE THEIR INTRODUCTION IN LOW-INCOME COUNTRIES.
IAVI PROGRAMS AND PARTNERSHIPS ARE GROUNDED IN THE REGIONS OF THE WORLD WHERE THE DISEASE BURDEN IS THE GREATEST, AND OUR APPROACH EMPHASIZES SUSTAINABILITY. OUR NETWORK OF CLINICAL RESEARCH CENTER PARTNERS IN AFRICA AND INDIA HELPS STRENGTHEN IN-COUNTRY RESEARCH CAPACITY AND SUPPORTS THE TRAINING AND EDUCATION OF THE NEXT GENERATION OF SCIENTISTS. THE GLOBAL IMPACT OF OUR SCIENCE INCLUDES FUNDAMENTAL CONTRIBUTIONS TO UNDERSTANDING THE BIOLOGY OF HIV INFECTION, WHICH IAVI AND OTHERS ARE APPLYING TOWARD ADVANCING VACCINE SCIENCE AND IMMUNOLOGY.
IAVI ACCELERATES SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERY AND DEVELOPMENT BY FOSTERING UNIQUE COLLABORATIONS AMONG ACADEMIA, INDUSTRY, LOCAL COMMUNITIES, GOVERNMENTS, AND FUNDERS TO EXPLORE NEW AND BETTER WAYS TO ADDRESS PUBLIC HEALTH THREATS THAT DISPROPORTIONATELY AFFECT PEOPLE LIVING IN POVERTY.
OUR GLOBAL REACH, INCLUDING A CLINICAL RESEARCH NETWORK IN FIVE COUNTRIES IN SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA AND IN INDIA, HAS ALLOWED US TO MAKE FUNDAMENTAL CONTRIBUTIONS TO UNDERSTANDING THE EPIDEMIOLOGY, TRANSMISSION, VIROLOGY, AND IMMUNOLOGY OF HIV. THIS WORK PLAYED A KEY ROLE IN FACILITATING THE DESIGN OF PROMISING HIV VACCINE CANDIDATES, AS WELL AS THE DISCOVERY OF BROADLY NEUTRALIZING ANTIBODIES THAT ARE NOW BEING ADVANCED AS PROMISING APPROACHES FOR HIV PREVENTION. OUR INTEGRATED CAPABILITIES IN VACCINE AND ANTIBODY DISCOVERY, DEVELOPMENT, AND CLINICAL RESEARCH TAKE ADVANTAGE OF BIO-PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY EXPERTISE TO ACCELERATE THE DEVELOPMENT AND TESTING OF PREVENTION METHODS FOR HIV AND OTHER DISEASES. THROUGH THE PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT CENTER, WE SUPPORT EXTERNAL RESEARCHERS WITH TECHNICAL AND SCIENTIFIC EXPERTISE TO ACCELERATE THE DEVELOPMENT OF THEIR OWN PRODUCTS.
IAVI CORE VALUES
• DEDICATION TO THE MISSION: WE ARE COMMITTED TO THE TRANSLATION OF SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERIES INTO AFFORDABLE, GLOBALLY ACCESSIBLE PUBLIC HEALTH SOLUTIONS.
• INNOVATIVE EVOLUTION: WE ARE COMMITTED TO SOLVING COMPLEX PROBLEMS IN CREATIVE AND INNOVATIVE WAYS, LEARNING FROM OUR MISTAKES AND SUCCESSES AND NEVER GIVING UP
• INTEGRITY: WE ARE COMMITTED TO MEETING THE HIGHEST ETHICAL AND PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS IN EVERYTHING WE DO AND TO TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR OUR ACTIONS TO EARN RESPECT
• COLLABORATION: WE ARE COMMITTED TO EMBRACING DIVERSITY, THE POWER OF GLOBAL TEAMWORK AND THE BELIEF THAT BY WORKING AS ONE WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
DISCLAIMER: NOTHING IN THIS JOB DESCRIPTION RESTRICTS MANAGEMENT'S RIGHT TO ASSIGN OR REASSIGN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES TO THIS JOB AT ANY TIME. THE ABOVE STATEMENTS ARE INTENDED TO DESCRIBE THE GENERAL NATURE AND LEVEL OF WORK BEING PERFORMED BY INDIVIDUALS ASSIGNED TO THIS POSITION. THEY ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF ALL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND SKILLS REQUIRED OF PERSONNEL SO CLASSIFIED. THIS DOCUMENT DOES NOT CREATE AN EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE, OTHER THAN AN “AT-WILL” RELATIONSHIP. IAVI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND APPLICANTS WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR EMPLOYMENT WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, NATIONAL ORIGIN, VETERAN OR DISABILITY STATUS.