Scientist I � Therapeutic AAV Testing
We are seeking a PhD. level scientist to join a new program at the Allen Institute for Brain Science and to develop and test new therapeutic AAVs to treat brain disorders using a novel AAV-based cell type-specific expression system. The role of this Scientist is to lead efforts to evaluate the efficacy of therapeutic AAVs to treat several brain diseases including severe forms of epilepsy and other developmental disorders of the brain.
We seek a Scientist with a background in animal modeling of brain diseases such as epilepsy or other neurodevelopmental disorders to become the domain expert for the disease models. They will develop and maintain the disease models at the Allen Institute, will establish functional assays, and will be responsible for testing new therapeutic AAV vectors in those disease models. They will be responsible for evaluating lead vector efficacy, biodistribution, and the immunological responses at different doses in animal models, likely including primates.
A background in virology, preclinical or clinical gene therapy is preferred. This individual must be excited by the prospect of joining a team science environment at the Allen Institute for Brain Science, to help develop new gene therapies for brain diseases.
- Establish and maintain in-house mouse models of neurological diseases.
- Establish robust quantitative phenotyping paradigms of the disease models.
- Evaluate efficacy of candidate AAV therapeutics in disease models.
- Evaluate routes of administration and doses for lead AAV therapeutics in animal models including primates.
- Determine biodistribution and immune responses to candidate AAV therapeutics.
- Oversee and evaluate experiments with CROs.
- Support molecular biology efforts as necessary.
- Rapid and transparent communication of all successes and failures.
- Presentation of results internally, externally and through publications.
- Must follow good laboratory practices.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office programs.
- Experience working in a timeline, milestone-driven, and team work environment is preferred.
- Highly motivated researcher, comfortable operating independently.
Preferred Qualifications and Requirements
- PhD with a strong background in neuroscience, neurological disease modeling, gene therapy or virology.
- Experience evaluating neurological disease models.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in a laboratory or research environment, including time spent in their PhD
- Scientist I: 0-2 years experience post PhD
- Scientist II: 2-5 years post PhD