Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Scientist II, Molecular Genetics in Early Target Discovery (ETD) at our San Diego office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Scientist II working on the ETD team, you will be empowered to lead target discovery and validation efforts that utilize patient genetics in Neurological and/or Autoimmune disorders or Rare diseases aligned with Takeda's related Drug Discovery Units (DDUs).
The Scientist II of Early Target Discovery, based in San Diego, is responsible for leadership of target identification and validation (TIDVAL) efforts in alignment with Takeda DDU priorities and employ cutting edge technologies in the areas of molecular genetics and functional genomics and lead to the initiation of formal drug discovery campaigns by Takeda Research. The Scientist II coordinates the ETD’s TIDVAL efforts leveraging patient genetics in Neurological and/or Autoimmune disorders or Rare diseases with Takeda’s related DDU. The Scientist II insures that the group is employing the most current, effective and applicable technologies and design methodologies in functional genomics and patient genetics studies, whether internally or externally, to initiate Takeda’s drug discovery programs.
- Coordinates the ETD’s TIDVAL efforts in Neurological and/or Autoimmune disorders or Rare diseases with Takeda’s related DDU.
- Serves as project leader to identify high quality targets in Neurological and/or Autoimmune disorders or Rare diseases leading to initiation of drug discovery programs in alignment with Takeda DDU priorities.
- Proactively builds external relationships and collaborations that supplement the group’s internal capabilities so that the group is best capable to advance and prioritize Takeda’s drug discovery programs through functional genomics and human genetics follow up techniques for TIDVAL, whether internally or externally.
- Leads the identification, evaluation and utilization of new and emerging technologies for rapid TIDVAL based on patient genetics and disease biomarker discovery.
- Works effectively to partner with Takeda research leaders in other functional areas to champion patient genetics for TIDVAL and prioritization of drug discovery projects.
- Supports an overall group culture that is agile, proactive, collaborative, innovative, and external facing
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D. in human genetics or functional/molecular genomics with publication(s), and a combined 2+ years of postdoctoral and biotech/pharma drug discovery experience. Group leadership experience is a plus.
- MS in genetics and minimum 8+ years of biotech/pharma experience in human genetics. Group leadership experience is a plus.
- Proven track record of applying human genetics and/or functional genomics TIDVAL in drug discovery in one of the therapeutic areas is a plus.
- Proven track record of scientific contributions in human genetics and functional genomics as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications and presentations.
- Experience in GWAS, WES, extreme phenotypes genetics, and/or protective allele discovery is required.
- Professionally represents the group and company more broadly in collaborations, partnership discussions, and external relationships and conferences with the ability to convey ideas in an experimentally detailed yet scientifically concise and effective manner.
- Positive can-do attitude with strong collaboration skills and ability to team effectively with drug discovery scientists.
- Highly motivated and flexible with ability to work in fast-paced environment. Ability to provide novel creative solutions to challenging problems. Desire to learn and tackle new challenges and initiatives.
- Possesses a high degree of scientific discretion/intuition and integrity
- May travel to some domestic conferences or client sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required
- Requires approximately 10% travel
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Program
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
San Diego, CA