The development team (Pleasanton, CA) at Roche Sequencing Solutions is seeking a talented and motivated Scientist II to develop and launch an exciting new target enrichment technology in the field of Next-Generation Sequencing. The qualified candidate will join a growing project team and will be responsible for optimizing workflows, improving performance, and developing an innovative workflow technology into a game changing product. Candidates must be able to work in a cross functional, collaborative, exciting, and fast-paced team environment.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Optimizes target enrichment workflows for ease of use, turnaround time, and performance.
- Performs nucleic acid extraction, library preparation, and optimizes output for downstream processing.
- Operates nucleic acid analysis instruments for quality and quantity assessments; this includes qPCR instruments, fluorometers, Agilent Bioanalyzer and TapeStation.
- Uses Next-Generating Sequencing instruments to produce data for downstream analysis.
- Performs feasibility, verification, and validation studies with the goals of product development and product launch.
- Accurately and consistently records experimental methods, materials, and results in electronic laboratory notebooks.
- Analyzes data, evaluates results, forms conclusions, and determines future experiments.
- Presents findings or comprehensive project status reviews at internal meetings.
- Establishes and maintains productive relationship with personnel in cross functional teams.
Key Skills and Competencies:
- Bachelor's degree in Biological/Life Sciences, Chemistry, Biochemistry or related field with a minimum of 3 years of lab experience
- Experience with next-generation sequencing based workflows including nucleic acid extraction, and library preparation is a must
- Familiarity with laboratory automation/liquid handling, qPCR, nucleic acid analysis tools is preferred
- Team oriented with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to take ownership and accountability of assignment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to effectively communicate with cross-functional teams