This is an excellent opportunity to join a group of scientists and engineers which focus on the novel and innovative technology and product development for consumer care market.
As a Senior Scientist you will report to Associate Scientific Director, Consumer Care Products at Zymergen and be responsible for both customer-based product design and development, as well as the internal development and progression of lead technology areas. You will routinely design and conduct bench lab experiments, analyze and interpret data, and communicate and present results to both internal and external stakeholders. You will apply scientific fundamentals in a hypothesis-driven environment to guide and support the development of methods, formulations, and processes needed to promote product success at all stages of the life cycle.
As a Senior Scientist you will be able to work both independently, and as part of multi-disciplinary teams. You should possess a continuous improvement mindset, and demonstrate excellence in matters of safety, science, operations, and quality. You will be a leader seeking to meet on-time deliverables of your highest quality, and a team-player supporting the success of your colleagues, peers, and organization.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Create skin biology internal capability for safety and efficacy studies on novel cosmetic ingredients
- Design, execute, review, and interpret experiments to provide recommendations toward the product development strategy
- Apply knowledge of skin biology, physiology, toxicology, and biochemistry to solve challenges around: safety & toxicology, skin physiological pathways, transdermal penetration and drug delivery, formulation, analytics, and manufacturing
- Adhere to scientifically-sound practices, including both model-based and risk-based approaches to research, design, development, scale-up, and technology transfers of formulations, methods, and processes
- Perform extensive bench-lab cell- and tissue-based biology assays for safety and efficacy towards emerging skin concerns. Communicate technical information to internal teams and/or external clients (CROs, testing labs) in the form of oral and written correspondence, presentations, and reports
- Support products throughout clinical development and/or commercial manufacturing activities
- Prepare written documents such as standard operating procedures, memos, reports, and technology transfer documentation
- Evaluate instruments, equipment, processes, and systems to improve safety, quality, and performance
- Run day to day skin biology lab operations
- MS or Ph.D. in biology, physiology, biochemistry, pharmacy, or medicine with 5+ years of experience (academia and industry) related to safety & efficacy lab methods development in skin biology
- Proven technical skills in problem solving, analytical techniques, data gathering, analysis, statistics, interpretation, and proficiency in method and instrument troubleshooting
- Ability to perform various tests and modify techniques where required for a range of biological actives, chemicals, formulations, and dosage forms
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to direct activities of a team toward time-sensitive deliverables
- Work successfully in a fast-paced, dynamic, highly collaborative, scientifically driven, team-oriented, and customer-focused environment inclusive of research
- Understanding of cosmetic and pharmaceutical regulations (FDA, OECD), industry guidance, and GMP practices is preferred
- Experience in managing contract research organizations (CROs) and testing labs preferred
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Zymergen may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Founded in 2013 and based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Zymergen is a technology company unlocking the power of biology. We deliver better economics for products made from biology that are used across industries, bring new products to market faster, and develop novel products. Our proprietary platform uses robots and machine learning to engineer microbes faster, more predictably, and to a level of performance previously unattainable. These microbes, and the products they produce, have broad applications across industries such as chemicals and materials, agriculture, and healthcare. For more information visit www.zymergen.com.