Scientist/Sr. Scientist, Mass Spectrometry
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA, is a pre-clinical stage biopharmaceutical company that is pioneering breakthrough technologies to drug the “undruggable” proteome. Targeting a majority of the human proteome with small molecule drugs has been historically unsuccessful, which is one of the most critical challenges in addressing human disease. Frontier’s platform, based on proprietary chemoproteomic technologies, novel protein degradation approaches, and sophisticated machine learning algorithms, makes drugging the “undruggable” proteome finally feasible – enabling a paradigm shift in drug discovery. Our therapeutic programs are focused on some of the most important and difficult targets in human disease, starting with cancer, in order to change the lives of patients for the better.
Do you want to make a lasting impact on human health? Are you passionate about your craft and enjoy it the most when you can use it together with a highly energetic and competent team to strive towards a common goal? Are you a creative problem solver who does what it takes? If so, this might be your dream job.
Frontier Medicines is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Scientist/Sr. Scientist, Mass Spectrometry within our newly forming chemical biology team. The successful candidate will play a key role in the development of Frontier’s protein and biophysical mass spectrometry platform. This is a unique opportunity that will expose you to a wide range of activities and you will be expected to contribute experimentally, as well as intellectually, to the development of our chemoproteomic platform to tackle high value but difficult to drug oncology targets and in developing our novel protein degrader technology. The team is focused on the discovery of new medicines to treat cancers and other serious disorders. The position will report to the head of Chemical Biology and will be located in South San Francisco.
The Scientist/Sr. Scientist, Mass Spectrometry is a key contributor to Frontier Medicines’ success and will be interacting with senior leaders, including the CSO, routinely. This is an opportunity to join and work in a highly collaborative and energetic team in a startup environment with short communication lines across functions and departments.
· To investigate and develop techniques for the characterization of therapeutic targets and their interactions with small molecule covalent drugs including isoTOP-ABPP, LC-MS/MS, TMT tandem mass tag labeling combined with state-of-the-art advancements in analytical mass spectrometry to enable accurate, high-throughput quantitative proteomics.
· Drive the development of novel mass spec-based covalent fragment screening technologies, such as intact protein LC/MS.
· Contribute to project teams leveraging chemoproteomics to advance novel drugs against previously ‘undruggable’ targets
· Assess, adopt and implement new technologies and experimental techniques that will improve and enable drug discovery.
· Maintain a strong awareness of current scientific literature and actively apply new concepts as appropriate.
· Effectively communicate with colleagues and stakeholders; create and present research updates and provide scientific input to teams.
· Ph.D. in a biological or chemical science (biochemistry, chemistry, biophysics, bioengineering, or related discipline), with 2-4 years of relevant post-graduate experience that includes experience in the biotech or pharma sectors.
· Deep scientific and technical expertise in applying Mass Spectrometry to understanding drug mechanism of action and its application to drug discovery.
· A track record of scientific excellence as reflected by high-impact, peer-reviewed publications and/or patents.
· Excellent communication, organization, and technical writing skills.
· Strong problem-solving skills, scientifically curious and ability to evolve with new technologies.
· Ability to work with independence and drive in a startup environment.
· A commitment to excellence, high quality science and a professional working environment.
· Legally authorized to work in the US.