Security Guard - University Police Department
Carnegie Mellon University PoliceDepartment is dedicated to serving the community on campus and beyond. Weparticipate in many charity and community service programs and eventsthroughout the Pittsburgh area. Our mission is to enhance and promote safety atthe university through collaboration, proactive problem-solving, opencommunication and the delivery of professional and dependable police andsecurity services. Our vision is to provide best-in-class police and securityservices to the Carnegie Mellon University community.
This leads us to search for aSecurity Guard to join our team who has the desire to make a positive impact onthis diverse community. This is an excellent opportunity if you seek tocontribute to the mission of our department in a variety of ways. Designated an"essential employee," you may be required to remain on duty beyondnormal shift and/or be available on a 24-hour basis to report for duty withoutprior notice due to emergencies or manpower shortages.
Coreresponsibilities will include:
- Conducting watchperson rounds ofuniversity buildings and areas to insure the safety and security of the campus,the assigned sector, and its occupants/users
- Reporting suspicious activity,persons and conditions immediately
- Providing escorts to students, staffand faculty members
- Providing general assistance tocampus police officers
- Providing general information touniversity personnel and visitors
- Performing foot patrol on campusgrounds in all weather conditions and temperatures
We seek an individual who candemonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and be able to efficiently interactwith a varied population; effectively communicating both verbally and inwriting. You must have the ability to remain calm in difficult, dangerous, andhigh stress emergency situations and to deal politely and courteously with allcampus constituents. This role requires flexible shift schedule/hours,including mandated overtime and continuation of regular tour of duty;willingness to join the Carnegie Mellon University Campus Police Association;the ability to pass extensive background investigation, drug and alcoholtesting pre-hire (as well as reasonable suspicion and post-accident); andcomplete hazard communication training during provisional period.
- High School graduate, GED, orequivalent combination of training and experience required
- Prior security experience stronglypreferred
- Prior security training preferred,Knowledge of and ability to properly use standard police radio Ten Codes preferred
- Preferred: Act 235, CRR, AED, FirstResponder, and EMT certification/commission; CDL license
- Background check
- Valid PA driver's license
- Fitness for duty assessment andpre-employment medical exam
Please visit “http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/why-cmu/”to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations thatchange the world.
A listing of employee benefits isavailable at: http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is anEqual Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.Statement of Assurance:https://www.cmu.edu/policies/administrative-and-governance/statement-of-assurance.htmlPublic SafetyUnited States-Pennsylvania-PittsburghFull Timetrue