Senior Accountant - STAT Reporting-FIN0001JJ
Headquartered in Chicago, CNA (NYSE:CNA) is the 8th largest commercial property and casualty insurance company in the U.S. Founded in 1897, CNA has approximately 7,000 employees, serving businesses and professionals in the U.S., Canada, Europe and Asia. At CNA, our mission and vision is to focus on what we do best — providing insurance solutions that allow our customers to better manage their risks and grow profitably. Visit CNA.com for more information.
The Statutory Reporting Senior Accountant within the Financial Accounting and Reporting (FAR) team facilitates the timely preparation of Statutory financial statements, analysis of accounting entries and results, leadership of an efficient close process, and an understanding of internal and external requirements to ensure accurate reporting. The responsibilities of this group includes Statutory quarterly and annual filings, stand-alone entity reporting, various supplemental reports, ability to collaborate with business partners, and development of strong insurance accounting and reporting knowledge base.
Essential Duties Responsibilities
- Preparing quarterly/annual statutory and/or GAAP financial statements and schedules/exhibits in compliance with SEC, FASB, NAIC and other regulatory requirements, and monthly internal financial results packages.
- Preparing and analyzing account reconciliations, including those related to accounting processes
- Liaison with internal and external auditors and provides necessary support
- Prepares analytical schedules, analyzes variances, and provides analytical support for internal requests
- Implementing, reporting, and communicating the impact of business and accounting related initiatives on assigned processes and financial statements
- Working collaboratively within the team, across the department, and individuals external to CNA
- Prepares schedules and performs controls to ensure compliance with Sarbanes Oxley
- Participating in process improvement projects
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge Abilities
- Basic knowledge of corporate, departmental and/or specialty accounting practices, procedures and principles as they relate to the organization, business unit and industry
- General knowledge of GAAP and statutory accounting principles
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software systems, including processing systems and applications
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects effectively as well
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with staff at all levels
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, and ability to work independently
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelor's Degree, preferably in accounting or finance
- Typically three to five years of work experience in accounting/finance or reporting related role
- CPA or CPA eligible preferred
- Public accounting experience a plus