The Avionics Project Engineering Position is for a Senior Engineer working at Aerojet Rocketdyne Culpeper VA. The Avionics Project Engineer reporting to Avionics Engineering will be responsible for managing day to day engineering activities of Defense Business Unit programs. He/she works directly with engineers and personnel across various company centers of excellence and in close collaboration with the Program Manager(s) and Program Chief Engineer(s).
This current opening may be filled at this level as posted or at one level higher.
Essential Job Functions (Including % of Time for Each)
30% Provide on-site production support engineering
30% Coordinate with on-site Operations personnel and remote hardware engineers
15% Provide initial screen of thruster, controller, and Final Assembly and Checkout (FACO) Acceptance Test Procedure (ATP) issues
5% Troubleshoot electrical continuity problems on flight hardware and test equipment
5% Troubleshoot Manufacturing Test Set (MTS) problems
5% Evaluate potential impact of MTS problems to deliverable hardware
5% Replace MTS PC, cable, and instrument components - as necessary
5% Perform MTS maintenance, ATP, and calibration
Desired Competencies and Experience
The overarching responsibility of a Avionics Project Engineer is to be the Project Coordinator / Engineering Manager for all phases of the engineering design and development lifecycle. The following capabilities and experience highly valued.
- Good oral and written communication skills - able to coordinate and collaborate with local Operations and distant-located Engineering organizations
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Proficient with general purpose test equipment (DMM, oscilloscope, power supplies, etc.)
- Familiarity with aerospace/defense engineering design and production disciplines
- Able to read and understand engineering drawings, electrical schematics, and wiring diagrams
- Experience with the following hardware and software technologies
- DSP-based embedded control systems
- Mixed analog/digital circuits
- Electromechanical actuators with PWM motor control
- National Instruments cDAQ systems and LabWindows/CVI
- RS-422 serial data links
- Python Programming Language
- Other desired experience
- QNX Neutrino RT operating system
- BS degree in electrical, electronic, or computer engineering (with strong hardware experience)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience managing aerospace and defense development programs. Experience in use of computer aided design and analysis tools and Microsoft Office Suite, proficient in Microsoft Project.
- US Citizenship required. Must be able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Security Clearance at the appropriate level (U.S. Citizenship required).
- Must also be able to satisfy federal government requirements for access to government information, and having dual citizenship may preclude you from being able to meet this requirement.
Physical Requirements and Work Place Environment
Employees in these positions must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer. The employee must have the stamina to sit or stand and maintain attention to detail despite interruptions. He/she may occasionally lift/carry/push/pull up to 25 pounds. The assignments may require occasional walking, climbing, stooping, crouching, and/or bending. Have vision acuity to read printed materials and computer screen, and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone.
The work environment may require a combination of indoor and outdoor activity (hot, cold, wet, humid conditions). While performing the duties of this job, employees may work around variable noise levels and may require donning personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety shoes, and shop coat. The candidate may be expected to work varying shifts and hours to ensure successful operation of activities in the organization. May require the ability to travel by air or auto.