Are you a Senior Bioprocess Engineer seeking your next opportunity? Do you enjoy working in a collaborative environment with diverse clients and projects? We are seeking a Senior Bioprocess Engineer who has a passion for supporting projects in a collaborative multi-discipline environment. This is a new full-time opportunity with Eichleay which can be based out of our Company headquarters located in Concord, CA or remote within the area. You will report into the Process Department Manager and work closely with clients and team members supporting the projects you are assigned.
*Please note due to COVID-19 some of our office locations may be closed, requiring this role to be based out of a home office.
Move Forward with Eichleay
Do you love applying your knowledge of BioProcess design and engineering techniques to projects? Do you enjoy planning and conducting independent work, requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, application and adaptation of engineering techniques, procedures and criteria? Your thorough knowledge and new approaches to problems will be highly valued at Eichleay. Your attention to details and quality will ensure success when asked to prepare or modify drawings, specifications, calculations, charts and graphs.
You will be expected to monitor work for compliance to applicable codes, accepted engineering practices and Client and/or Eichleay standards. Your work will span across the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and industrial process sectors. Project size will vary and will be mainly brownfield work within existing facilities.
Additional Job Responsibilities
- Accountable for the successful completion of assigned engineering tasks and preparation of engineering deliverables including but not limited to conceptual and detailed engineering and design, design narrative reports, Block Flow Diagrams (BFDs) and Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs).
- Create Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs).
- Perform Process engineering calculations such as hold-up volume within piping, pressure drop, relief device, and equipment sizing.
- Interface with other internal engineering disciplines (mechanical, civil/structural, electrical, instrumentation, automation, architecture, etc.) to ensure a coordinated design and complete engineering deliverables.
- Site visits to Client facilities to determine existing as-built conditions.
- Participation in Client/contractor meetings, resolving technical issues, preparation of meeting minutes and action items lists.
- Ability to prepare Mass/Enthalpy balances.
- Ability to size and select equipment, materials, and process systems.
- Assist in the preparation of engineering project proposals.
- Check vendor drawings to ensure design accuracy and compliance with specifications.
- Prepare and complete Qualification and/or Commissioning documentation.
- Participate in Hazard Analysis sessions
- Attend Factory Acceptance Testing and Site Acceptance Testing
- Provide construction support activities including responding to submittals and RFIs.
- Provide support for cost estimating activities.
- Bachelor of Science or Master of Science degree in Chemical or Biochemical Engineering preferred with six or more years of related experience.
- Experience with facility design and construction and working with multiple discipline engineering projects.
- Knowledge of regulatory guidelines, including FDA, cGMP, and ASME BPE, process qualification and validation requirements, hazardous area requirements and certifications.
- Strong communication skills, including writing skills in preparing reports, presentations, analyses, etc.
- Ability to concisely describe design conclusions to others via presentations and/or written design reports.
- Experience with performing process simulations/calculations.
- Proven ability to develop PFDs and P&IDs.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Suite.
- Ability to be badged for process safety management governed facilities, which require in depth drug screening.
- Experience in developing process and project requirements.
- Project and/or design experience with standard industry equipment including Bioreactors (Fermentation/Cell Culture), Product Recovery (Centrifugation, Cell Disruption, Cryopreservation), Purification (Chromatography, UF/OF/TFF/Lyophilization) and Biowaste Deactivation/Neutralization.
- Project and/or design experience with Clean-in-Place Systems (CIP), Steam-in-Place Systems (SIP), COP Systems
- Project and/or design experience with Bulk Solid Storage and Delivery, Bulk Liquid Storage and Delivery (Caustic, Acid, Volatile Solvents), Process Utilities (Chilled Glycol/Water, Plant Steam, Compressed Air, CDA, Hot/Cold Heat Transfer Media and Systems), Clean Steam, Hot/Cold Water for Injection (WFI), Reverse Osmosis (RO)/DI Pharmaceutical Water Systems.
- Project and/or design experience with Gas Storage and Delivery (Oxygen, Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Helium, Argon, CO2, Vacuum), Sanitary Piping Design.
- Familiarity with API, ASME, ANSI and ISA standards.
- Experience using CAD software and/or directing the activities of design staff to prepare PFDs and P&IDs.
- Experience performing sizing calculations for pressure relief devices.
- Experience in the petroleum / petrochemical industries.
Work Environmental & Physical Demands:
The characteristics described below are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing duties of this job, would occasionally be required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop or kneel, talk and hear, and use fingers and hands to feel objects, tools or controls.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, depth perceptions, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Overtime may be necessary as workloads dictate. This may include weekdays, weekends and/or holidays.
- Job will generally be performed in an office environment, but may require travel to visit a Client’s office, production facility or industrial/construction job site. Conditions will vary at each location, but the conditions listed above will generally apply.
- May be assigned to work at a Client’s office, facility or site for an extended period. Conditions will vary at each location, but the conditions listed above will generally apply. When performing outside Eichleay’s office, appropriate safety training and safety equipment will be provided by Eichleay and/or Client as required.
For over 140 years, Eichleay companies have developed a wide range of project delivery expertise. This legacy continues today with Eichleay, Inc. which specializes in the design and construction of industrial process, manufacturing, life science, and high technology facilities.
Join a dynamic organization with insight fueled by experience, solutions powered by practicality, relationships built by listening and trust earned through results.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.