Position Title: Senior Budget and Accounting Analyst
Organization: Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Position Type: Full-time, Exempt
During COVID this position will be a combination of in person work and remote work.
Salary: $70,000 - $78,000 per year
Benefits: Benefits for this position include a 401(k) plan, medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, life insurance and generous holiday benefits.
Position Overview: The Senior Budget and Accounting Analyst is an integral part of the financial planning function within the Finance & Accounting Team. The position works closely with a range of departments and programs, including program directors and senior staff. The candidate must be a self-starter who is diligent, proactive, and detailed oriented and is expected to contribute significantly to the Finance & Accounting Team.
Under the direction of the Senior Director of Accounting/Controller this position will work with departments and programs in financial planning and analysis, budgeting, and expense management to determining how to best allocate current resources and forecast future financial requirements. Will perform financial analysis and modeling with varying levels of complexity, assist with design and develop costing models and reports. Will assist in identifying key emerging financial trends, measurement of key performance metrics and success factors, cost analyses and prepare monthly, quarterly, annual, and ad-hoc customized reporting to be used for forecasting and results analysis.
· Deliver ongoing financial reporting, analytics and insight on performance metrics, benchmarking progress against targets, initiatives, and strategies.
· Conduct analytical reviews and investigations for departmental and programmatic activities related to complex financial and budgetary issues or questions; evaluates alternatives and makes recommendations.
· Develop an understanding of organization wide departments and programs funding streams and/or cost structure.
· Assist with analysis used for decision-making and recommendations to management and programs.
· Provide decision support to finance and programs through ad-hoc analysis and financial modelling to drive better decision making and results.
· Analyze financial & operational results to understand and report underlying causes for performance and variance.
· Assist with department and program budgets and forecasts in real time based on changing assumptions in revenue, personnel, and other direct project costs.
· Perform budget to actual variance analysis to identify causes, adjustments needed, trends, personnel reclassifications, potential budget shortfalls or cost overruns, and opportunities for cost savings.
· Assists program staff by understanding program needs, translating program requirements to financial models, communicate changes in the financial operations, and assists with program budget modifications as needed.
· Assist departments and programs with preparing operating budgets to support the organization’s revenue and expense management goals.
· Work closely with Development team to ensure Finance & Accounting has accurate revenue forecasts.
· Provide budget review for grants/contracts proposals prior to submission ensure appropriate cost coverage based on proposed statement of work.
· Assist with preparation and analysis of the annual budget and forecast.
· Prepare monthly, quarterly, annual and ad-hoc financial statements with actual and projected financial positions.
· Collects and analyzes quantitative data to develop relevant reports that drive cost analysis, budgeting, and forecasting.
· Forecast cash flow positions, related banking needs, and available funds.
· Work with the Finance & Accounting team to identify areas or opportunities for improvement.
· Support organizational and management practices as applied to the analysis, evaluation, development, and implementation of programs, policies, and procedures.
· Perform variance analyses and account reconciliations as needed.
· Assist with month end closing, year-end closing and reconciliations and preparation for the external audit and prepare necessary audit schedules as needed.
· Ad Hoc requests and one-off projects and other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities that are a Must-Have:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance is required
· Minimum 8+ years accounting experience with progressive and relevant and analytical budgeting, analysis, and reporting experience, preferably in the nonprofit industry.
· Knowledge and understanding of cost methodologies, budgeting concepts, practices, and procedures, and accounting competencies, including an understanding of revenue recognition.
· Understanding of GAAP compliance and Uniform Guidance and OMB Circulars.
· Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
· Strong analytical, organization and time management skills.
· Work well in team approach environment.
· Demonstrably strong judgement and decision-making skills.
· Ability to multi-task and prioritize workflow.
- Advanced in Excel and proficient Word and Outlook.
Skills/Abilities we’d like you to Have:
· Desire to work in a fun, friendly, collaborative, and professional environment.
· Passion for working in a non-profit, human services organization dedicated to helping individuals in need.
- Experience with Financial Edge not required but preferred
Read to Move Forward:
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume on the following link;
Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Please, no phone calls. Please, principals only. Please, local candidates only (relocation is not provided).
About Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. For nearly 100 years, Jewish Family Service has been a trusted resource for the entire community, offering an array of services that are always life-changing, and often life-saving. At Jewish Family Service, we believe our employees are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each employee is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Come work at JFS and be our partner in Moving Forward Together. To learn more about JFS, please visit jfssd.org.