The Senior Business Consultant, utilizing business consulting & transformation methods and techniques, collaborates with other members of the department, IS and the Business to help improve results. The Senior Business Consultant is part of the Business Consulting & Transformation Services Department that provides services such as strategy development at the department level, process assessments, future state design and the development of transformation roadmaps. These services are available to any department within the company.
The Senior Business Consultant performs under intermittent supervision, in which the Manager and/or Director makes assignments by defining project objectives, priorities and deadlines. Must be able to lead medium business consulting engagements and may lead large engagements which can involve multiple business units. The Senior Consultant resolves simple and complex problems in accordance with instructions, policies and accepted practice. The Senior Business Consultant is also expected to supervise and train less experienced staff assigned to the project and successfully lead the engagement to completion. Work will be reviewed for adequacy and conformance with practice and policy in order to deliver high quality deliverables.
Functions listed below are typical, and relate to the specific nature of the project/initiative assigned. Additional, unlisted functions may apply depending on department and project/initiative needs.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Business Consulting & Transformation Service Delivery
* Using Business Consulting & Transformation Services methods and techniques,
o Participate in process improvement/redesign, reengineering, business assessments, and strategy initiatives
o Employ critical thinking, effective data gathering & data analysis and problem solving skills to understand the situation
o Lead and participate in developing a clear understanding of potentially complex situations and present that understanding through meaningful and useful business consulting deliverables. This includes documentation of processes, a functional decomposition, structured analysis, context diagramming, entity relationship modeling, and workflow mapping.
o Leverage market and competitive research including benchmarks in the analysis
o Review metrics to identify process/system performance, areas for improvement and trends
o Lead and participate in visualizing and effectively documenting future processes / performance metrics and propose recommendations/opportunities through meaningful and useful business consulting deliverables.
Recommendations may include opportunities from a people, process and technology perspective
Proactively detects project risk/issues, identifies potential solutions and makes adjustments to the project plan accordingly
Incorporate current company strategy and defined processes and methods
o Develop business case for the recommendations and determine ROI
o Participate in developing next steps and a high level implementation roadmap
* Must be able to lead medium business consulting engagements and may lead large engagements which can involve multiple business units
* Proactively identify enhancements to current tools and methodologies that would allow the team to work more efficiently
Perform other activities as directed by department management
* Continually expand understanding of impacts of technology, legislations and the competitive marketplace on health insurance/managed care
* Other activities as assigned
* Bachelor's Degree
* 5 years of business process reengineering experience in a functional business area
* Knowledge of and experience with Business Models (function process, entity relationship, etc.) and brainstorming tools (fishbone diagrams, cause and effect, etc.) and their appropriate application
* Knowledge of and experience with business consulting tools and methods including business process reengineering
* Basic understanding of IT strategy components
* Basic understanding of health insurance/managed care industry & market
* Must have prior work experience in a Management Consulting Company
* Advanced application of business consulting skills, methods and deliverables. This includes the ability to effectively understand and assess complex situations, develop recommendations that include future state models and present meaningful, high quality deliverables
* Strong analytical skills. Utilize root cause and impact analysis from data gathered from interviews, focus groups, and other techniques proficiently.
* Able to synthesize large amounts of information and tailor the message to staff and/or senior management
* Employ Project Management techniques, tools and methods proficiently and consistently
* Employ proficient negotiation and influencing skills by facilitating a project group without authority in order to effectively reach a positive outcome
* Utilize well-developed verbal, written and facilitation skills to develop, create and effectively present senior level presentations, including executive summaries
* Able to objectively work with highly confidential information
* Consistently proactive / takes initiative
* Able to assess assigned work, manage time and meet deadlines for self and overall project
* Able to motivate fellow employees by fostering team spirit, an attitude of cooperation, trust and a commitment to the team and Organization including training and mentoring peers
* Must be flexible and able to quickly adapt to a dynamic environment
* Demonstrate advanced skills with Microsoft Office Suite including, but not limited to: Word, PPT, Visio, Excel, and Project
* Able to identify potential opportunities for add-on or new consulting projects
WORKING CONDITIONS AND ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Fast paced office environment. May require limited travel between Tufts HP offices and offsite vendors. May require occasional evening or weekend hours as the needs of the organization dictate.
CONFIDENTIAL DATA: All information (written, verbal, electronic, etc.) that an employee encounters while working at Tufts Health Plan is considered confidential. Exposed to and required to deal with highly confidential and sensitive material and must adhere to corporate compliance policy, department guidelines/policies and all applicable laws and regulations at all times.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled