At the Hawthorne Gardening Company (HGC) we want our people to empower more people to garden no matter where and how they choose to grow. We accomplish this by encouraging people to live happier, healthier lives through gardening. If you also feel this way then you’d fit in great with us!
We are looking for Senior Buyer who will work remotely for our Hawthorne headquarter Office.
The Senior Buyer is responsible for sourcing of raw and/or packaging materials for the Lighting Controls Category. This person will help lead Hawthorne Supply Chain through strategic sourcing processes, as well as directly negotiating and contracting required volumes. Additionally, the Senior Buyer drives reporting projects to support Hawthorne Procurement activities.
What you’ll do in this role:
- Develop category strategies, secure customer alignment, and execute
- Develop commodity strategy linked to operating/strategic plan
- Negotiate materials in context of strategic sourcing/operating plan
- Advise on commodity strategy and corporate policies
- Lead assigned sourcing projects and drives them to successful completion, including market analysis, the RFX process, negotiations, contract creation, and contract management.
- Develop strong relationships with internal Business partners
- Drive cost-saving initiatives to align with company goals
- Participate in higher-order procurement activities such as internal demand management and partnering with suppliers for innovation to add value and achieve continuous process improvement
- Evaluate supplier capabilities, cost structure, risks, and partnership potential
- Drive supplier scorecards / ratings on an ongoing basis to measure supplier performance
- Provide Supplier Scorecard reporting to support departmental vendor relationships.
- Drive department analyses including: MPV, Cost Center Budgeting, Days Payable Outstanding, Cost Out Tracker reporting. Hold Monthly review with team to highlight areas of opportunity.
- Demonstrate a bias toward action and ability to work autonomously
- Travel occasionally as business needs dictate
What you’ll need to be successful:
- BS or BA in Purchasing, Finance, Economics, Accounting, Engineering, Information Technology or other business related field
- 3 - 5 years’ relevant procurement experience
- Solid negotiation skills
- Analytical and strategic thought process
- Proven record in leading change and implementing new procurement concepts
- Expertise in financial analysis with knowledge in cost model development
- Team player with the ability to work on cross-functional teams
- Proven leadership skills with the ability to assume leadership role
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills (SAP R/3, MS office programs, Ariba)
- CPSM Certification
- Procurement experience
- Experience working for a Consumer Packaged Goods company
What we do for our associates (just to list a few cool ones):
- Offer extremely competitive benefits including: Health, Dental and Vision coverage with discounted generic prescriptions and wellness incentive program.
- Onsite wellness center which includes: state of the art fitness facility, Walgreen’s pharmacy and Doctor’s office. Colleagues and their family can receive complimentary care from this facility.
- Unbelievable 401K match and discounted stock purchasing program.
- Our commitment to diversity and inclusion includes four employee resource groups: Scotts Women’s Network, Scotts Black Employee Network, Scotts Veterans Network and Scotts Young Professionals.
- Generous vacation day policy.
- Various associate engagement activities throughout the year including intramural sports leagues.
Our commitment to LiveTotal Health puts the wellness and safety of our associates and their families as the top priority. Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, ensuring associate safety has been a primary focus for all of us at Scotts. During this year’s flu season and the continuing pandemic, we remain committed to doing everything we can to keep our associates healthy and safe. As such, we are requiring our US associates to get a flu vaccine. This safety measure will help protect our associates, our families and our communities. We recognize a medical or personal circumstance may prevent you from meeting this requirement and we have a process to address those concerns.
Not interested in this role? Check out our other career opportunities and learn more about what it’s like to work at Hawthorne Gardening Company by accessing our Talent Network: HGC Talent Network
The Hawthorne Gardening Company is a start-up company focused on hydroponic gardening. Dedicated to creating high quality products founded in social and environmental responsibility. Backed by the largest lawn and garden company in the U.S. (Scotts Miracle-Gro, NYSE: SMG) we bring new ideas, values, and culture to our endeavors without the constraints of a large corporation. We are an energetic, progressive-minded, sustainability-focused group of highly-motivated individuals, eager to share our love of gardening with the world.
The brands and products within our portfolio include: Sunlight Supply, General Hydroponics, General Organics, Vermicrop, Botanicare, AeroGarden, CanFilters and Gavita Lighting.
Hawthorne Gardening Company is an EEO Employer, dedicated to a culturally diverse, drug free workplace.
EEO/AA Employer/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Notification to Agencies:
Please note that the Hawthorne Gardening Company does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Master Service Agreement, and specific approval to submit resumes to an approved requisition, the Hawthorne Gardening Company will not consider or approve payment regarding recruiter fees or referral compensations.