Summary: SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities, has an excellent and immediate opening for the Banquet Manager for SMG American Bank Center. Monitors and supervises front of the house activities relating to food and beverage service for facility events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct oversight of the F&B Manager and the staff in correlation with Director of F&B
- Primary responsibility is ensuring the execution of every catered event to exceed service levels.
- Follows weekly work schedule, as assigned by the Director of Food and Beverage based on business demands and including weekends, evenings, and early mornings
- Assigns functions to supervisory staff
- Assigns and/or reviews function assignments of service staff.
- Trains assistants, captains and service staff on a weekly basis
- Recommends and maintains service standards and procedures
- Monitors the physical condition of ballroom and function areas. Reports to engineering and housekeeping any area that needs attention
- Works with Catering and Event Coordinators, Security and Engineering on function room set --ups.
- Directs all aspects of maintaining existing equipment needed for banquet service, by working with stewarding, engineering, and warehouse as needed.
- Oversees uniform control on banquet items
- Recommends and purchases any additional or replacement items and/or equipment
- Oversees banquet par stock on consumables. Monitors requisitions.
- Assists in controlling food and beverage costs. Monitors waste.
- Reviews captain's reports and sees they are distributed to proper people.
- Periodically reviews guests checks for accuracy, that are done by the captains, servers, or other personnel
- Inventory control and ordering.
- Maintains banquet linens.
- Meets with all planners on a daily basis to review comments and concerns from their functions
- Holds Banquet meetings to inform staff of policy changes and receive feedback from service personnel
- Coordinates with kitchen and stewarding on the timing and production of function
- Oversees in conjunction with the appropriate department, the preparation, presentation and service of banquet food and beverage products to ensure the highest quality is provided at all times.
- Tends to any special projects assigned that pertain to the overall food and beverage operation
- Assures that the daily inspection report is done on all facilities so that they are continuously maintained by the proper areas.
- Reviews daily employee inspection with captains for appearance
- Completes annual and periodic reviews on servers and captains.
- Prepares the scheduling of servers and captains on a weekly basis with the approval of Food and Beverage Director.
- Completes/delegates the responsibility of counting the quantity of items received from the kitchen
- Completes/delegates the responsibility of counting the number of guests upon arrival for accurate food counts
- Directs the removal of all items and cleaning of storerooms on a monthly basis.
- Handles last minute changes and inspects set-up and staff for final conditions
- Hold pre-function meetings to discuss event details
- Takes initiative in proving, upgrading, and implementing new standards and systems.
- Maintains qualified staff and ensures that they are compliant with the required food handler and TABC certifications.
- Identifies and controls work relationships, areas of accountability and performance of personnel assigned
- Ensures proper training of personnel, including developing for future advancement
- Fosters a cooperative and harmonious working climate conducive to maximum employee morale and productivity
- Assists management in other matters as requested
- Perform as a venue ambassador with the VIP's including Suites, Club Seats, Sponsors, etc. during events.
- Enforces TABC policies to ensure the integrity of the venue.
- Inspects locations and observes workers and patrons to ensure compliance with occupational, health, and safety standards and local liquor regulations
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Associates Degree from 2-year college or university
- 2-3 years' front of the house catering management experience
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- 2-3 years' experience in supervision of staff including, scheduling, monitoring, and mentoring of large-scale catering events
- Demonstrated ability to control costs, generate increased revenue and manage accounts payable/ receivable and financial reporting
- Experience in inventory and equipment controls
- Preferred knowledge of Caterease software or similar system.
Skills and Abilities
- Communicate effectively and efficiently
- Ability to solve problems
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Ability to function in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Ability to manage staff in multiple functions simultaneously.
- Ability to plan accordingly to prevent errors.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient In Word and Excel.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Food Handlers and TABC
- Ability to work varied hours including nights, weekends and holidays based on events scheduled.
- Ability to work with limited supervision.
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; must be able to lift 25 lbs., speak and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building, as needed by events.
NOTE: The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
To apply please visit our Career site here:
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact:
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.