The Senior Claims Specialist under the supervision of the Director of Claims, Claims Counsel is responsible for proactively investigating, managing, and resolving Bodily Injury, Builders’ Risk, ongoing operations, and completed operations claims. The Senior Claims Specialist will timely and accurately process all claims from filing to closure in accordance with Suffolk Construction Company, Inc. best practices and state regulations. The Senior Claims Specialist will work closely with Suffolk’s carriers, brokers, operations team, and attorneys to achieve the best possible outcome for each claim. The Senior Claims Specialist will assist in the implementation and maintenance of processes and procedures to eliminate, mitigate, and control the financial impacts of losses across several lines of business.
If you are an innovative collaborator and proven performer who enjoys working on teams that deliver superior results, you may qualify for a rewarding career at Suffolk, a construction management firm that is sparking an industry revolution and has consistently been named a “best place to work”!
- Review, investigate, analyze and adjust Bodily Injury, Builders’ Risk, ongoing operations, and completed operations claims in accordance with current laws and regulations.
- With guidance from the Director of Claims, Claims Counsel, report new incidents to the appropriate insurance carriers.
- Prepare and manage crisis notifications as necessary.
- Assist the Director of Claims, Claims Counsel with risk transfer efforts, including drafting tender letters.
- Review applicable policies for coverage and for potential risk transfer efforts.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with Risk Management, Safety, Operations, Legal, Accounting, Data, and Strategy.
- Aid Operations and Accounting in preparing costs and job documents to establish coverage for property damage, contractual penalties and extra expense, and business interruption.
- Determine when vendor involvement is necessary, such as a certified industrial hygienist, brokers, attorneys, experts, etc. and direct and monitor the vendor services to ensure the effective cost containment of expenses on claims.
- Review progress of claims internally, providing a well-documented action plan.
- Develop early and continuous flow of information between Suffolk and its carriers and experts.
- Attend job sites as necessary; perform site inspections and work with the project teams to prepare documentation to establish coverage.
- Stay apprised of current changes in the law, court rulings and related matters that might affect the handling of claims.
- Act as an internal claims resource to assist with investigating and compiling data and financial information to support Suffolk’s position on claims.
- Assist the claims, legal, risk, and operations departments with other duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree
- Experience: 3-5 years of claims management experience or similar background in insurance industry.
- Knowledge of coverage laws and guidelines.
- Knowledge of construction and insurance terminology.
- Knowledge of insurance claims adjusting.
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel, Word and Power Point.
- Possess and understand Suffolk Core Values: Passion, Integrity, Hard Work and Professionalism.
- Actively participate as a team member within the Claims Department and with all departments within the company.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple demands in a fast paced, changing work environment.
- Initiative to meet designated time tables with minimum supervision.
- Detail oriented.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time; talk or hear; perform fine motor, hand and finger skills in the use of a keyboard, telephone, or writing. The employee is frequently required to stands; walk; and reach with arms and/or hands. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The employee will spend their time in an office environment with a quiet to moderate noise level. Job site walking.
Suffolk provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, national origin, citizenship, genetic information, disability, protected veteran, gender identity, age or any other status protected by law. This policy applies to recruiting, hiring, transfers, promotions, terminations, compensation, benefits, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Suffolk will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination toward, or harassment of, applicants or employees by anyone at Suffolk, or anyone working on behalf of Suffolk.