PLEASE NOTE: A TYPING TEST IS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION SUBMISSION TO BE CONSIDERED. PLEASE CLICK ON THIS LINK (OR COPY/PASTE INTO YOUR BROWSER):
Position Title: Senior Clerk
Department: Municipal Court
Reports to: Operations Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Bargaining Unit: None
Pay Grade: 09A
Full Time Equivalent: 1.00
* Please note: A typing test must be completed at time of application submittal. Please click on this link or paste into your browser: https://es.eskill.com/es/quiz/?testId=c62d18a7f8763d57
The Senior Clerk files charges and enters all violations pertaining to the Uniform Traffic Code and the municipal ordinances of the City of Rio Rancho into the court software system. Performs cash management duties as well as customer assistance.
Education, Training and Experience – minimum required to proficiently perform the job
Education / higher education: High School Graduate or equivalent
Minimum number of years of directly related experience: One year of general office or customer service experience.
Education and/or experience preferences: None
Certifications, Licenses and Registrations
Driver’s License requirement: Infrequent Driver -- Regular Driver's License Required Endorsements: None
Note -- For any driver, driving record must always meet City driving and insurability standards.
Required certifications, licenses or registrations: Must be bondable.
Preferred certifications, licenses or registrations: Notary Public.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required to proficiently perform the job
Knowledge: Must be proficient in data entry and have a working knowledge of computer and software applications, including e-mail. Strong organizational and self-starter skills required. Knowledge of proper English usage, grammar and punctuation; cash handling procedures; filing systems; general office practices, office equipment such as telephone, printer, copier, and fax.
Skills: Must be able to pass a typing test with a minimum of 30 words per minute and operate a 10-key. Money management skills required. Must be proficient in data entry. Computer proficiency in MS Office Suite and other software. Learn computer applications and systems as needed. Personal computers, electronic database access, search edit, retrieval, word processing software, printers, faxes, copiers and calculators. This job also requires excellent organizational and interpersonal skills. Skill in working independently and managing time effectively while handling high-volume work load in an environment subject to frequently changing priorities and high stress; concentration and attention to detail; being organized; establishing priorities and meeting deadlines; multi-tasking; communicating effectively both orally and in writing with diverse customer service; using good telephone etiquette; using common sense; maintaining professional demeanor and composure.
Abilities: Communicate in clear, concise, tactful and prompt manner both in oral and written communications. Demonstrate sound judgment in resolving problems that do not need the supervisor’s immediate attention within the department’s policies and procedures on a daily basis. Use sound judgment and problem solving techniques. Maintain confidentiality of all information. This job requires the ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
Interaction with Groups/Agencies/Entities: Incumbent will interact with all levels of City and Court staff; Law Enforcement Officers, and the general public, including offenders on Probation.
Authorities and Accountabilities
Level of independent decision making: Minimal-incumbent primarily carries-out instructions and follows established procedures
Budgetary/Financial/Asset accountability: Low -- Position is accountable to the Court Administrator and cannot make major decisions or obligate the City
Span of control: Responsibility for own work (no supervision or leadership expectations)
The following functions are typical for this position. The omission of specific functions does not exclude them if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment for this position. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Data entry, on the Justice System software program, of incoming charges with regards to violations against the Rio Rancho Municipal Ordinances and the Uniform Traffic Code.
- Collection of bonds, fines and fees as well as reconciliation of individual cash drawers.
- Generate court documents, creation of case files to maintain all documents pertinent to each defendant.
- Draft correspondence in reply to requests for case inquiries, record requests or searches.
- Research defendants’ requests, warrants and prior conviction history.
- Prepare motor vehicle abstracts; flag drivers’ licenses and issue notice of clearances.
- Perform clerical and technical duties involved in case processing, case management and the conduct of the clerical business of the Court.
- Enter case information into Justice System case management system.
- Generate court documents for mailing.
- Pull case files and court documents.
- Access data utilizing the Court doceketing and case programs.
- Notify interested parties of case setting or disposition.
- Assist the public, law enforcement officials and attorneys.
- Archival of case files.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
Daily activity level: Primarily sedentary
Physical characteristics: Job requires oral and aural communication; job requires reading and comprehension of written materials; job requires normal vision; must be able to distinguish colors; fine finger manipulation; grasping with hand, gripping; keystroking or repetitive motion of hands/fingers/arms; involvement in verbal or physical confrontations; lifting/carrying/push/pull up to 20 lbs.
Extraordinary working conditions: Must be willing to work flexible hours for night or Saturday court sessions. Work is performed in a court setting and a dress code applies. The employee may be exposed to hostile or violent situations that arise when dealing with individuals involved in court cases. The employee may be exposed to disturbing and/or hazardous court exhibits.
Hazardous equipment/machinery used: none
Required personal protective equipment: none