Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 1,500 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT, currently ranked #52 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
JMT is seeking qualified, experienced and highly motivated individuals for its York and Harrisburg offices to assist in coordinating and overseeing PennDOT or PA Turnpike roadway, structure and bridge, and maintenance construction projects. The successful candidate will promote open communications, partner with and respond to project/senior level construction management to obtain on-time, on-budget projects with high quality and safety.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Independently plan, coordinate, inspect and/or oversee day-to day project inspection activities to ensure contractor compliance through review, interpretation and enforcement of plans, contract documents, specifications and standards
- Ensure proper documentation and payment of all contract work
- Assign, schedule and maintain subordinate inspection staff throughout all phases of the project
- Provide direction and oversight to inspection staff and work with the owner to determine appropriate staff needs and monitor performance of the staff
- Review and maintain all pertinent project documentation and ensure that it accurately details construction progress, activities and materials, meets environmental permitting conditions, comply with safety policies and programs, and monitors EEO and DBE progress and performance
- Prepare, review and submit project inspection reports, work authorizations, work orders and estimates. Notify contractor of non-compliance and corrective action
- Review, analyze and evaluate contractor schedules
- Attend pre-bid, pre-construction and/or management level meetings throughout the course of the project, assist the client with issuance of project correspondences, claim defense, and provide updates to the client construction progress and issues
- Interact with the general public, government agencies, contractors, sub-contractors, and other internal and external parties to respond to inquiries and resolve field issues
- Excellent communication and letter writing skills to facilitate interaction between inspection staff, contractor personnel and owner representatives
- Thorough knowledge and considerable experience in maintenance & protection of traffic, earthwork, roadway, structure and bridge, and/or maintenance construction techniques, plans reading, procedures, methods, equipment and materials
- Knowledgeable in Road and Structure Specifications and Standards; state and federal labor regulations, MUTCD, environmental permitting requirements, and other rules and regulations related to highway construction projects
- 5+ years of inspection experience
- High school diploma or GED with additional course work or training in road/bridge construction, civil engineering, project management, materials or an equivalent combination of education, experience, and training demonstrating the ability to perform job duties
- Experience with project management software, Microsoft Word and Excel, CDS NeXtGen, CDS-V3 and ECMS
- Thorough understanding of PennDOT or PA Turnpike procedures from project startup through finalization, including documentation forms, sampling requirements and contractor submissions
- This position requires significant local travel. The candidate must have reliable transportation to each job site.
- Possession of current required certifications acceptable to PennDOT to include:
- NICET Level III preferred (Level 3 acceptable with ability to receive Level IV – P.E. can be substituted for all NICET Levels)
- NECEPT Bituminous Technician
- PennDOT Concrete Certification
- ACI (desired, but not required)
- Nuclear Gauge Safety (desired, but not required)
- ECMS, CDS NeXtGen or CDS-V3 experience
- OSHA 10 hour (desired, but not required)
- Driver's License required
Work is performed in the field. Ability to extensively perform bending, kneeling, standing, shoveling, and lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 25 lbs as needed. Work may be conducted outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions.
Work schedule varies according to project assignments, contract restrictions, and/or contractors’ schedule, to include night work, weekends and holidays.
- Planning Organizing/Time Management
- Job Proficiency
- Building Relationships & Teamwork
- Integrity & Ethics
- Quality Service
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce