- A Juris Doctor degree from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association and admission to the Michigan Bar is required
- 8 years of experience as a practicing attorney
- In-house experience a plus
- Leasing and acquisition experience a plus
- AIA (American Institute of Architects ) contracts working knowledge a plus
- Intellectual property and trademark working knowledge a plus
- Litigation management experience a plus
- Excellent analytical, writing and communication skills are required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to operate well independently and on team projects
- Confident, enthusiastic, and a self-starter who is results oriented, exercises good judgment and is sensitive to the needs of the business while skillfully and diplomatically managing risks for the organization
- Ability to think strategically and creatively and to identify and resolve legal issues in the context of the organization's short- and long-term goals.
The Senior Counsel works closely with internal and external clients on a wide variety of contracting, intellectual property and litigation matters. They are also involved developing and updating various legal and company processes and policies to improve the operations of the legal team and company.
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide array of agreements, including consulting, service, technology, confidentiality, sponsorship, artist, construction and property management agreements
- Assist general counsel with managing employment and premises liability litigation
- Manage intellectual property portfolio and provide support to marketing team
- Manage and oversee liquor license portfolio
- Provide risk management support to the business and legal team
- Review legal processes, structures, and policies and procedures throughout the organization, identifying opportunities for improvement and recommending appropriate changes
- Maintain broad knowledge of areas relating to real estate development and property management
- Collaborate with external counsel and actively manage those relationships on an as-needed basis
- Assist with the development and implementation of relevant team member training
- Integrity and ethics: Maintain the highest standards of personal and professional integrity and ethics
- Strategic thinker: Design and refine organizational strategies for both the present and future, in a fast-paced, ever-changing, global digital and technology arena
- Customer experience: Sponsor key initiatives at the organizational level to delivery of messages, pushing for change, providing resources and generating excitement – both internally and externally
- Communication agent: Consistently and persistently ensure that vision of Bedrock is clearly communicated to key leaders and that they are able to help others translate the vision into action
- Influence: Achieve long-term strategies by successfully influencing initiatives to key leaders in Finance, Technology, Risk Management, Construction, Legal, Property Management, etc.
- Change leadership: Take a proactive role by articulating a compelling vision of change; anticipating and overcoming potential obstacles; and addressing conflicts among the leadership group for discussion and resolution
- Partnership: Strategically partner with Bedrock’s leaders and sustain organizational partnerships during periods of change and adversity
- Team focus: Model collaboration in building plans and strategies to enhance organizational clarity and adapts management style to enable optimal team performance
- Commitment to results: Invest significant resources toward opportunities for radical improvement, setting standards for growth, quality and service that assure market leadership
- Culture champion: Develop and support long-range diversity and inclusivity strategies and initiatives that improve market penetration, enhance leadership makeup and create a culture that values diversity
- People leadership and development: Promote the visibility of current and future leaders and supports individuals with their development to ensure Bedrock’s talent and leadership talent and succession requirements and strategies are achieved
Who We Are
Detroit-based Bedrock is a full-service real estate firm specializing in acquiring, developing, leasing, financing and managing commercial and residential buildings. Since its founding in 2011, Bedrock and its affiliates have invested and committed more than $5.6 billion to acquiring and developing more than 100 properties, including new construction of ground-up developments in downtown Detroit and Cleveland totaling more than 18 million square feet.
Bedrock’s real estate portfolio consists of more than 200 office tenants and more than 120 retailers and restaurants in Detroit’s technology-centric downtown, the majority of which are new to the market, including Microsoft, Quicken Loans, LinkedIn, StockX, Ally Bank’s national headquarters, Fifth Third Bank’s regional headquarters, WeWork, Madewell, Under Armour, Shake Shack and countless others.
Bedrock is currently developing four transformational projects, including the Hudson’s Site, Monroe Blocks, Book Tower renovation and One Campus Martius expansion. Bedrock is also undertaking construction of City Modern, a community development in Detroit’s Brush Park neighborhood. Partnering with Detroit-based Shinola, Bedrock developed the world’s first Shinola Hotel on Woodward Avenue, which opened in early 2019.
Bedrock is dedicated to creating jobs for Detroiters and investing in job training. Over the last year, the company has invested in both the Randolph Career Technical Center and the Breithaupt Career and Technical Center to build a pipeline of talent for Detroit’s growing economy.
Creating unique experiences through real estate is Bedrock’s mission. To make this a reality, Bedrock and its affiliates continuously invest in significant public art installations and placemaking initiatives throughout the city.
This is an outline of the primary responsibilities of this position. As with everything in life, things change. The tasks and responsibilities can be changed, added to, removed, amended, deleted and modified at any time by the leadership group.