Senior Counsel, Government Affairs
Zymergen is seeking an attorney to join its dynamic legal department to support the needs of its rapidly growing business operations. Reporting to the Deputy General Counsel, you will work collaboratively with all attorneys in the legal department and various business units, including Technology, Products (commercialization), Public Policy Affairs and Regulatory Affairs.
- Partner with Chief Compliance Officer on several government compliance initiatives, including policy development and implementation
- Be responsible for Zymergen’s compliance with various contracts with governmental entities
- Support Zymergen’s Chief Scientific Officer in communicating Zymergen’s science and technology policy agenda by identifying avenues to influence new and pending technology related legislation/regulation and drafting and circulating position statements, white papers, news releases, and blog posts designed to influence with government representatives as well as the scientific community and the general public
- Interface with regulators and congressional staff to advocate for Zymergen’s science and technology policy positions
- Co-manage government & public policy affairs steering committee
- Lead negotiator for contracts with the federal government related to R&D and commercial products
- Partner with various business units on grant and other funding proposals
- Partner with IT department on government supplier/contractor readiness
- Advise on company interactions with the governmental authorities, including non-US
- 8+ years of combined experience in law firms, federal governmental agencies and/or in-house legal departments of multi-national companies
- Science and Technology background with capability to digest and explain complex science and technology issues
- Strong government affairs experience, including government funding (i.e., funding proposals), government contracts, government contract and regulation compliance, and/or lobbying activities
- Experience working in federal government in scientific/technology policy role a plus
- Highly responsive and service-oriented attitude
- Ability to write in a clear, concise and compelling manner
- Strong organizational and teaming skills
- Sound and practical business judgment
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, between 5% – 25%
- Comfortable with a start-up environment, or willing to adapt
- A sense of humor and adventure
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Zymergen may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Founded in 2013 and headquartered in the SF Bay Area, Zymergen is a science and material innovation company rethinking biology and reimagining the world. A World Economic Forum Tech Pioneer, Zymergen partners with nature to create never-before imagined materials and products across industries – from agriculture to consumer electronics, personal care to pharmaceuticals, and more. The company’s materials are in use today, creating value for Fortune 1000 companies and major corporations across the globe. Our clients have sold over $1 billion worth of products using Zymergen microbial strains. For more information visit:www.zymergen.com.